A Few Finds From Last Year, New Member ( Great Forum! )

Antje

Apr 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi! I've posted in other areas here in this forum. I realize there must be people who come here merely to identify objects ( I lurk a great deal on forums :) but having mustered to nerve to join, don't think that will be me? As a member probably the main concern I have is not knowing a ton so it's problematic finding good areas to contribute. I belong to a history based forum- it goes both ways, I know. Disclaimer- please do not think I'm crazy?

I hope these translate well in the smaller photos here- reduced them in size first to make sure they'd load here easily. We live only an hour or so from the U of P's sponsored marine dig- I forget, is it Devonian? Cool stuff from there! Also only an hour and a half from the famous prints at Gettysburg ( although have only seen them once- too interested elsewhere whn at the battlefield ). To be honest we haven't been able to get anyone to take these at ALL seriously despite agatization in a LOT of them. It's crazy. This stuff is on our land, not looking for money and in fact would rather not have every ebayer within 200 miles poking around here. We had a plethora of wild ginseng, a natural population, long gone now, not a scarp. That stupid reality show ended it, idjits crawling all over our property stripping us of our ginseng. ( a good portion of Virginia Creep disappeared also, too funny! Looks a lot like ginseng. :) ) Genuine folks interested in History, those interested in cash? Just no. Plus, never tried to sell anything, all private property, we really just would like to learn- as in a LOT of what occurred here and why- and what happened to create what seems to be a big, fat resting place for sea animals.

Anyway, no, we're not supposed to have this stuff here- the geographical history as told by PA's map says so, we know. According to some this kind of thing- these kinds of things are merely rocks accidently created in shapes by nature- all bazillion of them we have. We've been told that because a lot are so worn and lack sharp definition the can't be ' fossils', which seems silly. Depending on what the fossilization process consisted of, of course they'd become worn through time- all rocks do given where they are and how much they're exposed, gee whiz!

There's a fish- head of one or else an entire fish- you can see where fins or armor once existed. It's a red, very fragile rock, no idea what. Both sides are the same although to other side is much fainter.

A fin, the one with a ' swoop'- you can see the sections, unmistakable. Yes, this means ' soft tissue ' which isn't common, we know.

Small turtle shell, researching without help is really, really hard.

Some kind of crest, believe it or not, a couple of years hard research we think possibly ' Oviraptor ' family.

Foot/claw, flat bottom, defined toes/claws. REALLY heavy, most of them are with the exception of the crumbly, red fossils.

f new fish.jpg new f fin.jpg new f foot.jpg new f scute.jpg new f shell.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard I know nothing about your area but I'm sure someone will

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome. Your photos don't really show me anything to think you have some fossils there. Just rocks. However, Penn has a long geological history, including some great fossil plants. Look for some areas near yourself to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread