A Few Finds From My Weekend and a Question on Another!

Jeffinbuffalo

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Good Afternoon Everyone! Here are a few of this weekends finds. The cross and chain are 14k, the other chain is .417 (10k) Italy gold, and the silver is .925! They are 2.4, 5.4 and 24.66 grams respectively. If the pictures didn't upload correctly I apologize!
I have a question on the silver platter/plate/tray. I've never seen a marking of just "44". If anybody cares to share their knowledge I would appreciate it!
Jeff

Last edited:

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Gold is always nice to pick up and religious pendants are always an easy sell over melt.

I suspect the tray may be marked elsewhere if it is sterling. Don't know why it would have a stamp and not also be marked for silver?

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I believe the "44" is the model or pattern number. Someone like Diggum or others with more knowledge should be along soon to verify or correct me.

T.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The sterling chain looks fake to me. I would test it to be sure.

The tray looks plated. If it isn't marked sterling, it is most likely not silver.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
The sterling chain looks fake to me. I would test it to be sure.

The tray looks plated. If it isn't marked sterling, it is most likely not silver.

I agree with Ben on the tray. That is why I think the "44" is a pattern number and not an assayer's mark. Guess I didn't make that clear before.

T.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that tray would be marked with a maker or so. Could be only part of a set missing the lid? It does look like plate silver though. Good score on gold that's marked .417 "I love it" I picked up a vintage ladies Tissot wrist watch one time marked .750 on the case and band...I guess I was the first one to come by and know what that .750 means. I would be suspect of that heavy silver chain due to the fact that the links are not soldered shut. Those are open and would be prone to pull apart. Most chains of precious metals will be soldered sealed links. But still it could be a nice little chunk of sterling. Have it tested

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeffinbuffalo

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your replies! I thought the tray may be plated as well but for $1 I couldn't go wrong with taking a shot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread