A few finds from Saturday

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't find as many good items as I am used to - but the law of Diminishing Returns has to kick in on this site sooner or later. I still believe there are a lot more in there though. Just have to adjust my settings to see them through all the iron and junk. (Lots of nails and rusty iron!)

Found three more tokens that I hadn't seen before (Makes 25 unique tokens from the same spot!) and three marbles. I turned down the discrimination and managed to snag another Buffalo nickel (1925) and another early wheat (1911). Just before I left I dug up another lead soldier. This one appears to be playing a bugle. Haven't been able to identify the age or company so far on either of them. (Other one was on a horse) I'm really enjoying this particular site.

I'm typing this as I have some coffee just before going back to this spot in hopes of finding some more. Thanks for reading my little blurb! Good luck out there!! :)

Attachments

• aug 14 group.jpg
    aug 14 group.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 482
  • aug 14 buffalo nickel.jpg
    aug 14 buffalo nickel.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 485
  • aug 14 buffalo nickel - B.jpg
    aug 14 buffalo nickel - B.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 478
  • 1911 wheat - A.jpg
    1911 wheat - A.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 471
  • 1911 wheat - B.jpg
    1911 wheat - B.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 470
  • aug 14 marbles.jpg
    aug 14 marbles.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 469
  • aug 14 token group.jpg
    aug 14 token group.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 464
  • bugle soldier.jpg
    bugle soldier.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 467
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking finds there, love the early marbles. :icon_thumright:
It's really interesting that you've found so many tokens in that area.
They look like they might date to the 20' or 30's . . . correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder what went on at that location :icon_scratch: maybe a county fair or amusement park?
The square nails or spikes are good sign that there were probably structures
of some kind on the site previously too.

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Great looking finds there, love the early marbles.
They look like they might date to the 20' or 30's . . . correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder what went on at that location maybe a county fair or amusement park?

You're probably right. Looks like an oldish pleasure grounds to me too and they're usually good yielders. Nice recovery of vintage coins and the marbles are really great :icon_thumright:.

OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antiquarian said:

I wonder what went on at that location :icon_scratch: maybe a county fair or amusement park?

I was reading and saw some photos of this area and there used to be a house on it from 1880's-1940's - and it pretty close to a major transportation hub. Must have been kids living there as that would explain the toys and marbles. I have no clue on the date of the tokens as I haven't gotten down to the main library yet to look up some of these businesses in the Directory archives. (I'll update the post when I do - but I suspect you are probably correct on the age.)

I figure I dug up a lot of the "easy" finds here but there might be some more to be found - but will take some searching and work.

Thanks for the comments!! :)

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
black651 said:
Antiquarian said:

I was reading and saw some photos of this area and there used to be a house on it from 1880's-1940's - and it pretty close to a major transportation hub. Must have been kids living there as that would explain the toys and marbles. I have no clue on the date of the tokens as I haven't gotten down to the main library yet to look up some of these businesses in the Directory archives. (I'll update the post when I do - but I suspect you are probably correct on the age.)

I figure I dug up a lot of the "easy" finds here but there might be some more to be found - but will take some searching and work.

Thanks for the comments!! :)

Great job man :icon_thumright: Let us know what else you find there, it sounds promising!

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great find, I really like and enjoy the collecting of Marbles( :hello:still got that "CHILDISH" side of me :hello:). Would you like to sale any of them?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread