A few hours, a few oldies...

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Watercolor was gracious enough to invite me to one of his spots he and Kimsdad frequent. So, this morning after a couple errands, I took the long drive out to the area where he and others he knows have had pretty good success with early silvers and other old coins. Watercolor and I began hunting an area known for its long history, but also known for being pounded by other detectorists since the old days of metal detecting. I found one wheatie, a 1913, but nothing else but trash galore. Kimsdad was hunting the open area, where targets have been known to sink quickly, and I walked up to him as he dug a DEEP memorial. The wooded section surrounding the open area was chock-full of buckthorns, raspberry patches, and thousands of mosquitoes, as well as numerous toadlets (newly metamorphasized toads), so we moved on.

We walked to a higher, drier section of woods, and not too long after I found a 1911 wheatie. A foot away, I got another signal, slightly lower, and dug an 1895 IH. I called Mark and Neil over to show them. When I scanned the hole, I was getting another of the same tone. Right there in the open was an 1896 IH. Woo-hoo! I was pumped because the Indian head cent is not a coin I find regularly. I focused on that area, and got a solid 77 signal near the Indian heads, but 3 inches deeper! It was a 1982 memorial, go figure.

It was fun hunting with Neil and Mark, been a little while. I hope we can get together again soon for a hunt. Looks like everyone here has had a great weekend with lots of finds! Always good to hear. Take care guys...

Joe

I wish I can get my IH's to look good like all of yours', but they never do, even after the hot peroxide. I'm thinking the woods have a lot to do with it (more acidic?)

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 186

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Nice going on those oldies Joe! :thumbsup: Do you recall the VDI on the Injuns?

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
litefire56 said:
Nice going on those oldies Joe! :thumbsup: Do you recall the VDI on the Injuns?

litefire,

I don't recall the VDI on the IH's, but judging by the tone, I'd say somewhere in the 50's or 60's. IH's are weird like that. In my experience, it seems that the location of the IH (woods vs. park turf, for example), in addition to the depth and condition of the coin, determines the VDI. I've dug them at 72 and 56, and everywhere in between. Frustrating, because that's trash most of the time. I just dig anything deep with that VDI in the woods anyway, to be safe.

Joe

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Great finds Joe! Even though they are ruddy in appearance, those IH's are cool; plus, consecutive dates in the same hole :icon_thumleft:

-I've found the same phenomenon with older wheats (pre-1942 which uses the same alloy as most Indians (except pre-1864)); on my Machine wheats normally are 69-70, but ones that are really bad corroded have registered as low as mid 30's. I don't know if its a function of copper degrading in certain soil conditions or that specific copper - tin - zinc alloy. I haven't encountered memorials doing the same, but they haven't had quite the number of years. The 1959-62 memorial has the same alloy; post 62 is copper and zinc only.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey Joe, it was good to get out with you again!

Congrats on those Indians!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Both from the 1800's! Wow! :o

It was good to see you find them, plus it re-energized us with the hope that more finds were a'coming! There's nothing to pick up your swing when you're hot & tired like someone in the group hitting it good! :)

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME FINDS JOE , WTG!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Joe, same here. Usually the IH's fall in the zinc range on a CZ, but I've had some that ring up as foil, usually deep in the woods. All the turf ones came up zinc unless they were very shallow. And yeah, your cleaning job is still better than my EPT (enhanced pitting techniques) on IH's.

I think I'll try to dig a clean one today....

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, wonderful hunt!! It was nice to hunt with you again :thumbsup:
We have to get out again soon.

A good percentage of my IH signals have been in the 62 or 63 range (XLT)

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
First the Rosies, and now the Indian Heads. Next you'll start on the seated's.
You guys sure had a nice day for it.
Mike

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Swingin for the oldies!

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
The IH certainly don't come out of the woods like they do in some of the parks. Nice job the oldies Joe.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds bud!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Joe,
Great job on the IH's.... I love finding those. After you do the peroxide do you put vaseline on it then wipe it off? It will bring out the detail and take the dryness off the coin.

Makton

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread