Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few things i've rescued from garage sales recently-

First is a Kosta Boda art glass vase signed by Vicke Lindstrand, it's a mid century free form design etched with trees leaves and birds. Here is a better example of it photo wise, same vase basically-
http://tinyurl.com/6qwkcaz

100_5887.jpg

Next photo shows a couple Murano vases both with the labels still attached, the better one is on the left it's referred to as a Sommerso amethyst and amber faceted vase. Here is a similar one- http://tinyurl.com/6o8pr7r

100_5889.jpg

Next are a set of Wade Irish porcelain mugs and a stein. Nothing special but I liked them.

100_5898.jpg

Here is some misc. items, a bag of skeleton keys (mostly), a Frederick Reynolds Sheffield 1800's Straight Razor (needs some cleaning), some misc military, bone and glass buttons I pulled out of a large tin that I bought (about 6lbs worth), a ladies cigarette holder with dragon carving (bone or ivory), a couple of Roman clay oil lamps (need researching) maybe old maybe not but the price was right, purchased seperately at different sales, weeks apart, and the best of the lot, a vintage stoned again tumbler lol, remember the blacklight poster from the 70's?

100_5896.jpg imagesCAP0KMG3.jpg

Next are a few military pins, ribbons and medals, a vintage german shepherd lighter, and 4 sweet little Swarovski crystal figurines.

100_5895.jpg

Continuing on we have an Olympus OM-2 camera in mint condition along with 3 lenses including a
Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5 Macro Focusing Auto Zoom lens, carrying case, all paperwork and a few other accessories.

100_5903.jpg

Next is a early 1970's Creations Inc. Three Goddesses oil rain lamp, needs some cleaning but it's in perfect shape.

100_5912.jpg

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few more items-

View attachment 609789

A Jolly Chimp mechanical toy in exc. cond. w/box-

100_5900.jpg

And then last but not least is a few more little things, first is a millefiori bead necklace, a vintage ladies feather hat, a Palmetto fiber Seminole Indian doll (I collect these), a 5 pound chunk of Iron Pyrite, and a Liberty Bell bank patd. 1919.

100_5908.jpg

View attachment 609792

Last edited:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice stuff but nothing beats money for less than face. 99 pounds of Cents is over $140 face. :icon_thumright: ....and Wheats to boot. :headbang:

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Some nice stuff but nothing beats money for less than face. 99 pounds of Cents is over $140 face. :icon_thumright: ....and Wheats to boot. :headbang:
Exactly!

bluehunter1973 said:
I have several of the irish porcelain mugs been looking for more.
I also got 102 of the little Wade Red Rose Tea whimsies for $4.

100_5922.jpg

And I didn't even mention the silver and gold items I "recovered". This is kind of the reason I haven't been getting out md'ing lately, on the weekends anyway. That and i'm sick of the beach, I want some dirt to dig.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup my daughter has you beat. I spent more than 4 dollars more like 200 but she has over 200 of those damn things

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
diggummup said:

And I didn't even mention the silver and gold items I "recovered". This is kind of the reason I haven't been getting out md'ing lately, on the weekends anyway. That and i'm sick of the beach, I want some dirt to dig.
As much as I enjoy detecting, the GS, thrift ect., hunt has just been way more rewarding (for me). Plus the fact the none of my kids has expressed any interest in detecting. Damn video games. May sell my V3i in the spring.

I've done well selling Skeleton Keys, gather them up until I have enough to run a "lot" of them.

Good Finds!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SEANO said:
diggummup said:

As much as I enjoy detecting, the GS, thrift ect., hunt has just been way more rewarding (for me). Plus the fact the none of my kids has expressed any interest in detecting. Damn video games. May sell my V3i in the spring.

I've done well selling Skeleton Keys, gather them up until I have enough to run a "lot" of them.

Good Finds!
I like detecting but I don't like the sun, we don't get along. I've already had one squamous cell carcinome revoed last year and another biopsy this year (non cancerous). I'd much rather be in the woods detecting older sites than baking on the beach. Unfortunately there's not much of that down here in this hellhole. I used to take weekend trips to small towns in the middle of the state but gas prices the last couple years have killed that.
As for the skeleton keys, i'm sure a few aren't too old but there are a few hinged ones that double as drawer pulls and several old brass ones too.

lostcauses said:
Nice art glass. A good run it seems.. LOL
This is just some of my favorites of the last 4-6 weeks, all kinds of other sellable "junk" too.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bluehunter1973 said:
diggummup my daughter has you beat. I spent more than 4 dollars more like 200 but she has over 200 of those damn things
I'll probably list the whole lot for $19.99 start price. I only bought them cause they were cheap, I can't resist a good deal.

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
So your the one with the 99 lbs of wheats, those people were idiots. 136 wheats = 1 lb....Duh, I average .03-.04 each for common wheats sold in bag lots on Ebay, and that wasn't the only nice find. The smaller lenses (most likely 50mm) prime lenses, if they are fast, like f/1.2, or f/1.4.....big money. Those 2 Stanley thermoses in that condition, very nice, and I would research the Wade animals, most are common, but some are not. Nice finds, and you have a well trained eye.
TIP OF THE DAY !!! Start putting away any Lincoln cents from 1959-1982 (copper value). It has been said that within 5 years, finding one in your change will be like finding a wheatie now. Same thing that happened in the late 60's-early 70's with the silver coins. Melt value is nearing .03 per cent, and although it is ILLEGAL to melt down pennies or nickels in the U.S., that does not stop you from selling them on Ebay as bullion. They now have copper penny sorting machines out now, and people are making 20.00+ an hour just sorting copper at home.
HH

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buff4 said:
So your the one with the 99 lbs of wheats, those people were idiots. 136 wheats = 1 lb....Duh, I average .03-.04 each for common wheats sold in bag lots on Ebay, and that wasn't the only nice find. The smaller lenses (most likely 50mm) prime lenses, if they are fast, like f/1.2, or f/1.4.....big money. Those 2 Stanley thermoses in that condition, very nice, and I would research the Wade animals, most are common, but some are not. Nice finds, and you have a well trained eye.
TIP OF THE DAY !!! Start putting away any Lincoln cents from 1959-1982 (copper value). It has been said that within 5 years, finding one in your change will be like finding a wheatie now. Same thing that happened in the late 60's-early 70's with the silver coins. Melt value is nearing .03 per cent, and although it is ILLEGAL to melt down pennies or nickels in the U.S., that does not stop you from selling them on Ebay as bullion. They now have copper penny sorting machines out now, and people are making 20.00+ an hour just sorting copper at home.
HH
I'm going through them a little at a time, so far besides what i've already posted the best i've found is a 1911S in F-VF condition, several 1909 VDB's no S mints though, 2 1955's with a cud error in LIBERTY, a 1924 with a filled D mintmark and a 1943 copper plated steelie. Nothing major yet but i've only been through 1 tackle box (23lbs) and 6 pounds of them are pre 1940. From the looks of it so far, these are unsearched.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember my grandmother had one of those "3 godesses" rain lamp things. The 70's had some funky fads!

I agree, $100 face worth of wheats is about $250 worth of copper! The silvers were just a bonus.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
diggummup said:
Buff4 said:
HH
I'm going through them a little at a time, so far besides what i've already posted the best i've found is a 1911S in F-VF condition, several 1909 VDB's no S mints though, 2 1955's with a cud error in LIBERTY, a 1924 with a filled D mintmark and a 1943 copper plated steelie. Nothing major yet but i've only been through 1 tackle box (23lbs) and 6 pounds of them are pre 1940. From the looks of it so far, these are unsearched.

Diggum:

I regularly sort through bags and bags of "unsearched" wheat pennies. First, I get a few different bins/bags together to sort them out. Then, I dump the entire lot in a big shallow box and pick out the obvious shiny UNC, bent/damaged/holed culls, canadians, indian heads, and memorial cents - basically anything that stands out differently from the wheats. Then, I run a large magnet through the lot to pull out all the steel cents. After that you are ready to start sorting. Personally, I don't think there are any dates (besides 1955 Doubled and 1943 D/S) after 1934 that are worth setting aside. You can look for doubled 1936 but I don't bother. So if I see 1935 or later it goes in one bin and anything earlier goes in the other. Then I re-sort the earlier ones later by actual value/rarity. Of course, as you go along if you see an obvious key date, I always set those aside separately.

I know these all seem like common sense tips, but hope this helps all the same.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jerseyben- Thanks for the advice. I'm just gonna sort them into two lots for now, pre and post 1940's. I separate all the steelies, foreigns, memorials (30-40 so far) and any key/semi key dates or obvious errors. Then when I sell them i'll list them in 500 coin lots. They seem to sell pretty good. Looks like that 1911s should sell for around $50 in the condition it's in. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions