larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
this might be a boring thread but who knows?
this is a frame of some of my larger KRF scrapers...they are all uniface
maybe i could post some of the more interesting jasper and agate scrapers
the site i hunt is loaded with scrapers
it is easy to find a half dozen in 15 minutes
i know old digger has some very colorful examples from montana IMG_2872.jpg IMG_2875.jpg IMG_2876.jpg IMG_2873.jpg IMG_2874.jpg IMG_1685.jpg 2011-10-04_21-05-22_268.jpg IMG_1143.jpg IMG_1149.jpg IMG_1158.jpg IMG_1159.jpg IMG_1159.jpg IMG_1160.jpg IMG_1161.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Gum Drops & other than KRF scrapers

We call the little scrapers like most of those in the last photo "gum drops". I don't know if there is such a term, but when Steve tells me he found a nice "gum drop", I know what he talking about, usually penny size or smaller at shaped like these.

Keep in mind that the little ones all likely started out as much larger pieces. A good on was used a.d re-worked over and over.

I like your local terminology TWitko. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
omg omg wow ,a friend gave me a old 1970 black light poster
so I go dug out my old black light,and it still works(37 years old and still working,man they made things good back than.)
and all my mandans artifacts are now orange with strips.so pretty.
so I start thinking what will it look like under my rock light.

short and long wave UV. ,and the blacklight, so i turn them on one at a time and wow you got a color light show
and it will just blow your mind.

that is cool john

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
I always wonder when I find a preform what happened to prevent him from completing the final artifact. Did he loose it or just keep it for trading later. Was his camp over run or more likely was there a natural disaster that cause its loss ?

N

natchitoches

awll i am in scraper heaven!!!!
i really love that banded Smoky Hill jasper

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
I always wonder when I find a preform what happened to prevent him from completing the final artifact. Did he loose it or just keep it for trading later. Was his camp over run or more likely was there a natural disaster that cause its loss ?

Yes to all the above. We think the same things when we find unfinished pieces and the reason could be anything. I think it wasn't much different than how we are now when it comes finishing projects. You get interrupted in the middle of something and meant to get back to it after taking care of whatever came up. Then before you know it, you just don't get to it.

Kinda like this. I was gonna have the roof on before it got cold. I bet we've got a few "I'll get back to it" preforms lying around. lol :)

Attachments

• 698556d1352665950-beads-fish-hooks-2012-11-11_12-18-34_433-1.jpg
    698556d1352665950-beads-fish-hooks-2012-11-11_12-18-34_433-1.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
natchitoches said:
omg omg wow ,a friend gave me a old 1970 black light poster
so I go dug out my old black light,and it still works(37 years old and still working,man they made things good back than.)
and all my mandans artifacts are now orange with strips.so pretty.
so I start thinking what will it look like under my rock light.
short and long wave UV. ,and the blacklight, so i turn them on one at a time and wow you got a color light show
and it will just blow your mind.

Time to turn some pink Floyd on.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
T Witko said:
Yes to all the above. We think the same things when we find unfinished pieces and the reason could be anything. I think it wasn't much different than how we are now when it comes finishing projects. You get interrupted in the middle of something and meant to get back to it after taking care of whatever came up. Then before you know it, you just don't get to it.

Kinda like this. I was gonna have the roof on before it got cold. I bet we've got a few "I'll get back to it" preforms lying around. lol :)

I love that pic. I have one of my boat in the exact same situation. Everyone ask me " why didn't you put a roof on your shed?" my answer: you can't build em from the sky down. About the unfinished native American artifacts, I don't know why this always crosses my mind, but maybe they didn't live long enough to finish them. I can't think of any other reason when a piece seems perfect up to where they left off. They could have seen flaws that aren't obvious to us as well.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments Steve and natchitoches. Here are a few more
and these are made of banded Smoky Hill jasper (chert) which is actually
a silicified chalk.

Pic 2: more Smoky Hill examples.

Pic 3: others from our collection and made of various materials.
click on the last pic three times to enlarge. -personal finds-
Must of took you a few hours to lay all them out on your floor like that. All of your scrapers are outstanding! Very colorful.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Must of took you a few hours to lay all them out on your floor like that.
All of your scrapers are outstanding! Very colorful.

Thanks for the comment Rock. I had never really had a reason to photograph my scrapers
until Steve started this thread. Although I guess that’s not completely true as I have a few
paleo examples which I had previously photographed. Steve’s thread provided the incentive
for me to take the time and record these common tools as an image which can be filed and
possibly used for future projects.

Lol, no …not a few hours, it didn’t take much time to lay them out, probably less than 45 minutes.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen white and red scrapers before. What type of stone is it? And can we get a close up of one?

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
I have never seen white and red scrapers before. What type of stone is it? And can we get a close up of one?

I assume you are referring to the first three pics?

If so, the material is call Alibates and the source is the Texas panhandle.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK thanks its a Chert then.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection of thumbscrapers there 11KBP. Really colorfull material. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread