A few minutes with the DFX;

D

DeepThought

with the 5" Excelerator coil and in Coil & Jewelry: nothing special. Not deep (small coil), VID generally not accurate. I noticed sweep speed and CONSISTENCY were critical here (got it, Tom..). One thing - and I'm not sure I'm correctly describing this - that will take some getting used to is the target sound for a given coil sweep speed is the sound. In contrast to that Tracker's sharp "Dings" and "edge", this sounds slow to response and "smeared" (yes, threshold was on; I didn't try Silent Search or changing any settings). I clearly will be spending a lot of time with this thing if I am to understand what it says and be productive. Court is still out .... comments/suggestions from the seasoned crowd is welcome. Thanks in advance. D/T

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have about 4,000 hours with my DFX and it is fantastic. Make a test garden in your yard with a cent, nickel, dime and half. Also a pull tab and a pop can and practice. I use the deep silver program and made adjustments to make it run hotter. Quarters at 10 inches and dimes at 8 inches are easy. Good luck and happy hunting.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you change the coil type in the DFX programming? With the V3i you need to pick the correct coil installed to make the VDI accurate. You will loose some depth with the small coil also as stated but it is a great machine. Patience!

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The DFX is a good machine but it does take some experience with it to get maximum performance. Don't give up on it and research different settings until you find the one that works best for your area and hunting style. I never used the 5" Excellerator coil but I got good depth with the Whites 5.3. The stock programs are pretty lame in my opinion but some tweaking and the DFX will perform with the best.

OP
OP
D

DeepThought

I get it. This morning I was reading "digging deeper with the DFX" by Jeff Foster. After a bit, I put the 950 coil back on, switched to the Beach and Jewelry program and tried again. Fantastic! I was pulling stuff from deep, in locations I had already covered. Ok - I've had the machine for a whopping couple of days & can only imagine what a year from now will bring. Thanks, all

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Practice,patience,precisión, more you know better ur finds u got a great machine I hunted with a guy during the summer kept right up with my v3i for deep targets granted I could anylize them more & had more info but either way the dfx is a monster in the right hands good luck

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Deep Thought
I never played much with the factory settings. The small coil might cause the VDI to not be accurate .
When the signagraph bar graph go's all the way to the top you have a good target . Walk in a circle well swinging over the target . If the bar graph don't hit the top it's more than likely junk .
Sometimes you might get tones different than what it's telling you and always dig them because they are multiple targets . Most of my coins were found with a DFX. One day out in the woods detecting with the DFX I get a dollar signal and the tone didn't sound right for a dollar and I dug it. Their were 3 round brass pieces from shotgun shells, 3 nails, 2 seated liberty quarters and a seated half dollar. Yep one dollar and I almost past it up because of the tone not being what I thought it should be for a dollar. Gold coins kind of ring up like silver so you shouldn't miss any if you should pass the coil over some . Good luck . roger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread