DFX Depth?

D

DeepThought

I tried a used DFX tonight. I am a bit disappointed. Using Coin and Jewelry, it could only detect a dime on the grass from no more than 4" up (my BH can do a lot better than that at a fraction of the weight). The VID wasn't accurate either. Now in my eyes, a default settings DFX should trump a default tracker IV anytime. I just didn't see that. As I said....disappointing

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to be something setup wrong or a problem with the detector as the tracker is in no way a deeper detector. Coil size will affect depth as well but even the 4x6 will do better than that on depth. HH

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set up has gotta be off, take your time on the ground and air balance

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somethin ain't right !! The DFX is a great deep machine and has good ID. The Bounty Hunter can't touch the DFX in the hands of an experienced operator that knows how to set the machine up. I had a DFX and found several coins at 8 inches or more. I also never had a problem with the ID (very accurate). It did take me a while to get used to the DFX and learn how to set it up. The default settings are a little lame and I did not stay with them long. Whites will also tell you that the detectors are not designed to find coins in disturbed ground or in your case raising the coil over a coin lying on the ground.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree I havent used a dfx but used to go out with a guy who had one knew how to use it Very well found lots a good stuff id'd right on we would compare once in a while its id to my v3i sometimes both 99% of the time right on.
So ground balance off sonething wasnt right like was said

DFXDon

Aug 27, 2007
West St. Paul Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision V3i, GMT, and X-Terra 705, Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have been using the indoor program by misstake or had something set wrong. I run the V3i THE BEST, but my DFX backup is very close to it and is very deep in my soil up here in Minnesota. Right now they both are in my computer room getting a well deserved rest as we have a foot of snow and the temp has been below zero for it seams like forever.
Don

shadowcat1971

May 5, 2012
Northern MN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E series with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh! DFX Don! No kidding! 18 inches of snow and below zero every day lately, my XLT is resting comfortably till probably April! Lol HH from the Iron Range!

holeDiver

Dec 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to have DFX an I must say I live it I found some of my favourite treasure for instance this S.L.Q was,well read 8 1\2 down an it was right to the top of my digger
ase7e6ej.jpg
pe8a4aju.jpg

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

holeDiver

Dec 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about spell check on my phone writes different words when I'm not payin attention lol "love"

holeDiver

Dec 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks shadowcat

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Turn your machine on, get it ready to detect then open the battery compartment and pull the battery with the machine on. Then put the battery back in and start your detecting process over

OP
OP
D

DeepThought

I decided to stick with the canned programs until I get a good fee for this MD. It's a toss-up (no pun intended) between Coin and Jewelry or Jewelry and Beach. I appreciate Whites has 191 hard-coded tones but would prefer 3-6, only. I mean really....how many can you hear and discern?

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I turn vco on and ratchet pinpointing off .

OP
OP
D

DeepThought

Ok....just spent the afternoon at 4 separate parks w/the DFX. Observations so.far: 1) it hates Alabama red clay. Very unimpressive depth.....mineralization a problem, 2) tone I'd is a pain if there is any trash, at all, 3) VID and depth readings are not all that accurate. At park 4 I decided to bury a penny at 6 inches and scan for it (received a broken response). THEN I decied to load the canned Hi-Po program instead, and bimped the pre-amp gain to 4, then lowered it to 3. Voila! I started to pick up clear.signals where before I didn't. On the last.one I pulled a penny from the tot lot sand at about 10 inches or more. I need to go back and retest at the.other sites but clearly this is a.beast for sandy beaches......

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definetly hate,to say it but need more time, thats honestly the most things I've ever heard hating it, everyone else I've really only heard good occasional thing or 2 but not that much hope it turns around for ya I know for a,fact its a very capable machine from hunting with a guy who used one in the woods for relics & in trashy parks for coins & jewelry with little to no issues, good luck

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DFX is an awesome machine, keep using it and you'll see how awesome it is

JFITTZZZ

May 6, 2012
Mansfield Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Alot of these program from White's aren't going to work the best in all areas. You really have to learn your machine and make some adjustments to your MD. I have had to make adjustments to my XLT's programs. Especially at the beach here in Va (black sand). Anyways I would learn about your ground conditions and find some advice as to how to compensate for it. I am actually going to AL next month. Be interesting to see what changes I will have to make to my V3i!

OP
OP
D

DeepThought

JFITTZZZ - let me know how your trip to AL worked out & your program changes for our clay. HH

OP
OP
D

DeepThought

I tried the DFX out in south Ky while visiting family. The soil here is more like peat than Alabama clay. Performance was deep....even with the canned programs. I found my first silver. ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread