A few Mohave/Cibola questions...

vfrazz9

Jul 24, 2018
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Mohave
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All...I found that my Mohave responds quicker to targets than my Cibola when I'm making faster sweeps, and I'm wondering if Tesoro's 10" elliptical coil might somehow improve the Cibola...don't see much about this particular concentric coil..sure wish Tesoro would amplify their site descriptions, and I'd like to know more about it.

Also wondering why detectors don't respond to the coil cable...I know they are shielded, but what material is it that shields those wires from being detected?

Also wondering if the Vaquero machine detects in threshold mode without having to continually depress a knob/button, as is necessary with the Cibola (boo).

Also wondering how adjusting/tuning the Cibola threshold level affects anything when in discrimination mode (other than for pinpointing).

Also wondering why the earth is round, not square...naaaa, forget that one.

Regards, vfrazz9

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coil wire is fixed and not moving in relation to the coil is the reason it doesn't respond. Possibly your Cibola has abit of discrimination slowing it down compared to the Mojave. I know my Compadre will pickup small nails in my flooring that my Silver Sabre umax misses because the umax has a small amount of iron disc. automatically set whereas the Compadre is in all metal when just turned on. Yes, your threshold mode (all metal) on the Vaquero is the most sensitive setting you have and it will detect very well. A light threshold setting on the Cibola is the best for detection even in disc. mode.
luvsdux

OP
OP
V

vfrazz9

Jul 24, 2018
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Mohave
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coil wire is fixed and not moving in relation to the coil is the reason it doesn't respond. Possibly your Cibola has abit of discrimination slowing it down compared to the Mojave. I know my Compadre will pickup small nails in my flooring that my Silver Sabre umax misses because the umax has a small amount of iron disc. automatically set whereas the Compadre is in all metal when just turned on. Yes, your threshold mode (all metal) on the Vaquero is the most sensitive setting you have and it will detect very well. A light threshold setting on the Cibola is the best for detection even in disc. mode.
luvsdux

...ah, didn't think of the coil cable not moving, though wouldn't it it respond if the detector is in point mode (if the coil is sensitive up as well as down in pinpoint)? And many thanks for the info on the threshold setting...

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The design of the vlf detectors, which is most, requires movement by the coil or the target in order to create a beep. Some do have a non-motion all metal mode for pinpointing, but in normal, Disc mode something has to move.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread