Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, two of us went out against our better judgment and relying on a "dud" of a weather forecast. The ground was partially frozen in spots. We spent about 2.5 hours freezing in the biting wind. Not real smart, however, it was sort of fun, with the exception of the wind. The temps were supposed to be 46 or so and it topped 35! Ick.

We went over some areas we though might have a few things left in them, since the fields were disced since we were there last.

Here are a few items. I'm not sure on the meteorite but it does have a fusion crust. I'll do some tests later today. Minie balls, a big tombac button, modern quarter, a round ball that was on top of the ground! and a non descript iron buckle.

IMG_1431.jpg IMG_1429.JPG

Upvote 32

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done, especially braving the elements!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they really missed the forecast this time.

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds and conquering the weather! Send your cold down south today! I’ll be sweating in the field!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Louisiana doesn't really have cold snaps!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I will probably try another site that has scattered CW and colonial on it today. I'm giving it a couple more hours to hopefully warm up a little. It's pretty cold out there.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds Smokey those mini balls and bullets are cool pieces of history. That would be cool if that was a meteorite....Michigan weather forecasters are terrible I could do it and guess better most of th time. Heres a common one its gonna be 8 degrees today with a minus 3 wind chill ....really than wht not just say its minus 3 outside.lol Keep rippin Smokey

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, I cleaned up the little rock some. Took some hi res photos of it also. I think its a amalgam of iron and gold. Terrestrial. It will need to be crushed and smelted to know.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Your photo shows nothing to indicate the size. How big is it? Looks like it might be oriented. Keeping fingers crossed, Smokey.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just under 1/2" across.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, they really missed the forecast this time.
Maybe they attended the school of weather forecastilization here in Georgia. Sometimes it seems that they look out the window before making the extended 5 day forecast. Yes siree bob.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
More nice CW saved Smokey. Well Done.

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! Congrats!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a few things. Stupid Deus pulled a copper memorial cent from foot down! I thought I had something good there. I did get three colonial items which are still in the car. I also got two quarters, I'm pretty one is silver. Again, out in the car. Also got two complete horse shoes, which went in their trash can. its going to rain for ever again!

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recent rains had really softened the ground out and the corn stbble which had limited our access previously was flattened such that some hot spots emerged from recent discing. Smokey really knows how to survey a pounded site, we spread out, found the hot spots and cleaned up. Thanks for the invite, Smokey.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're quite welcome! Now its raining again here, but back to reality, I do watch to see where folks dig there and it's a best guess after seeing where people have dug in the past versus what areas may still be profitable. Every year it changes. First day we hit it in 2016 I think we got 2 plates and 10 silvers! Because the farmer turns the soil, it's a new game every year. Once upon a time ago when I dug the Brandywine Battlefield in PA, the same thing happened. It became impossible to clean it out because the farmer deeply plowed.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread