Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first three are all caused by differential weathering of two separate hardnesses in the material. The softer material will erode quicker, hence the grooves. Those are all natural. Can't get a feel for the last one with just one picture. Could you post different angles please?

OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
along with a not so distant sibling:

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with Grim's post on all being natural, I also can't really make out the last one but I'll go with natural on that one as well. I would've picked them up and brought them home for my rock garden, just cause they look cool.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All are natural

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The rocks with the grooves were once on the shoreline of a body of water. Water level at groove eroded it. Gary

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Todd's got it. Ex: The Schoharie Creek in Upstate NY has a load of these grooved rocks. In areas of shallow water these rocks have laid in the streambed and go
t scoured (the softer parts) by sand and rocks/pebbles flowing past...just like a canyon in miniature size. Over years the part being eroded can get quite thin and triangular blade-like. They look like pounders and pestles for sure.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread