A few questions....a few observations....

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I'm one of those guys who has to know how something works, so please forgive the stupid questions...

Does anybody know how Brinks and the other carriers operate?

What I mean is how fast they go through their stockpile of halves?

Since it seems that the average is 0.5% silver, that silver must be replaced as it is removed.

The fact that the silver seems to come in waves (especially lately) seems to indicate that most silver does not circulate for very long. If it was spent, repacked, spent, repacked, and finally sorted by a coin roll hunter, statistically there would be many boxes with a little silver, as opposed to one or two boxes with a lot of silver.

Since there have been a lot of us finding some very nice amounts of silver, would that not indicate that across the country, there are a lot of people cashing in their coin collections? And if that is so, would it not be prudent to start moving into "Road Trips" as a way to intercept this silver before it was send to Brinks to be rolled and boxed?

Personally I have been privy to two instances where this occurred. The first time I was a little late and the teller had confiscated all the silver coinage, and the second time the guy was selling slabbed coins and that same bank called me to come and buy them from the fellow.

I'm thinking about doing several day long road trips between now and Christmas and was wondering what techniques you guys used?

It seems to me that a road trip through mostly rural areas where banks would be prone to have to sit on their silver halves for longer, as well as where many people might have less of an idea of what silver was worth would be a good place to search...

What do you think?

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
placerman said:
I'm one of those guys who has to know how something works, so please forgive the stupid questions...

Does anybody know how Brinks and the other carriers operate?

What I mean is how fast they go through their stockpile of halves?

Since it seems that the average is 0.5% silver, that silver must be replaced as it is removed.

The fact that the silver seems to come in waves (especially lately) seems to indicate that most silver does not circulate for very long. If it was spent, repacked, spent, repacked, and finally sorted by a coin roll hunter, statistically there would be many boxes with a little silver, as opposed to one or two boxes with a lot of silver.

Since there have been a lot of us finding some very nice amounts of silver, would that not indicate that across the country, there are a lot of people cashing in their coin collections? And if that is so, would it not be prudent to start moving into "Road Trips" as a way to intercept this silver before it was send to Brinks to be rolled and boxed?

Personally I have been privy to two instances where this occurred. The first time I was a little late and the teller had confiscated all the silver coinage, and the second time the guy was selling slabbed coins and that same bank called me to come and buy them from the fellow.

I'm thinking about doing several day long road trips between now and Christmas and was wondering what techniques you guys used?

It seems to me that a road trip through mostly rural areas where banks would be prone to have to sit on their silver halves for longer, as well as where many people might have less of an idea of what silver was worth would be a good place to search...

What do you think?
Halves are coming into Brinks etc, as fast as they go out really and when they need more (due to high volume of CRH orders) they just order from Fed., it is circular cycle, these Halves are going round and round.

The ONLY reason Silver is still coming in is people are (naively) turning it in from long ago saved for whatever reason coins of all types.

As for Road Trips, rural areas are very spread out have to drive lots of miles to get oft not too much; one thing have noted is hitting Banks in very high crime, miniroty parts of large cities is though very dangerous definitely a better for Silver finds than the wealthier- affluent neighborhoods.
My Road trips were running 2 of 3 pretty good, but that is down to 50/50 of late.

There are CRH'ers in rural areas, 2 weeks ago went up into KY to a very rural area, had alot of tellers tell me others were there the other day or even a man just left with all we had not 10 minutes ago.

If you do road trip(s) have a good high MPG car, mine is 26 or so mpg.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
placerman said:

Think about what you just said. If you can think of that, other people have already thought about it. The key is to beat the other people to those banks holding grandma's old coin collection. So map out some old banks, take a road trip and hope you get there before the other CRH'ers do. There are no guarantees in CRHing. You might hit 100 rural banks and come up with no silver. BUT, you might hit one rural bank and find grandma's collection of Barbers, Walkers, Kennedys, Mercury dimes, Indian Head pennies, etc....

You will never know until you try.

-Codes

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Placerman , The notion of small one bank towns , where nobody remembered in the last
50 years or so , to ask for half dollars - is attractive but probably more fantasy than fact.
Fact is, on a recent road trip , I veered off into some southern NewMexico small towns ,
I'm talking one or two bank towns - In one them - a teller informed me that she was
watching all the halves that came in ,most of the others , had no halves or had just sold
them . Further south in a medium sized city (75,000 pop.) I scored massive silver percentages
in just $20.00 ventured - was handed over the counter @ $100.00 in silver melt . If you
look at the variety of ways people score on this site , a couple of things stand out - 1.)
people score dream rolls over the counter occasionally 2.) people score dream boxes on
occasion . 3.) people get skunked on both "teller" rolls and boxes fairly regularly. 4.)the
majority of CRHers score small to medium percentages of silver on a regular basis . 5.)
lastly and most importantly- those who stay in the game -persevere- pull respectable
amounts of silver over time . A truly random game favors those who persevere. Argentium.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I have repeated great success on road trips but you have to plan and know where to go in order for them to be worth your while. If you do not plan and have a strategy you will spend more on gas and food and mileage than you will come home with unless you are lucky. But in my experience road trips bring more silver than boxes by far.

golden silver

OP
OP
P

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
Can you please tell a little about how you plan your trips, how often you go, etc?

Thank you.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
golden silver said:
I have repeated great success on road trips but you have to plan and know where to go in order for them to be worth your while. If you do not plan and have a strategy you will spend more on gas and food and mileage than you will come home with unless you are lucky. But in my experience road trips bring more silver than boxes by far.

golden silver

I've had good road trips, but they do not even come close to, oh I'd say 8 of our bestest Box finds, not even close really, well one 419 %40 Half find on road trip almost trumped box number 8 find above. My raod trip averages have went down from 2 of 3 trips being good to just 1 of 2 lately and the finds have only been marginal too.

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
placerman said:
Can you please tell a little about how you plan your trips, how often you go, etc?

Thank you.

Call ahead. I usually call each bank until I find one with some rolls. If one bank has some I won't call the others in that town as to not "tip" them off.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
placerman said:

Thank you.

As for planning the thing I do if I'm venturing into uncharted territory is mapquest the city you can then search for banks in the drop down search index click on banks and it will put pins on 10 banks at a time starting from the center of that city and you can click on the next ten and the next. I print out those pages which will show a map with the first 10 banks closest to the center of you starting point and the print out will include the name of the bank, address and phone number so you can call and see if it's worth the trip. Makes for a better plan and I can also see if there are dump sites available to me as well. Be sure to filter out ATM locations.

If your planning on searching southeastern Michigan, forget everything I just told you. :tongue3:

Mojo

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
coinmojo said:
placerman said:

Thank you.

As for planning the thing I do if I'm venturing into uncharted territory is mapquest the city you can then search for banks in the drop down search index click on banks and it will put pins on 10 banks at a time starting from the center of that city and you can click on the next ten and the next. I print out those pages which will show a map with the first 10 banks closest to the center of you starting point and the print out will include the name of the bank, address and phone number so you can call and see if it's worth the trip. Makes for a better plan and I can also see if there are dump sites available to me as well. Be sure to filter out ATM locations.

If your planning on searching southeastern Michigan, forget everything I just told you. :tongue3:

Mojo
Thanks, Godzilla. Picked up 2 boxes yesterday....it's been months....in 2 years of crhing I got my first double-stacked Brinks boxes, I usually get flat CWI. Got 3 40's, better than nothin. ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread