Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Got out again recently with my friend Dan to go back to a couple sites he had researched and gotten permission for. I dug a few more of the late 1700s/early 1800s buttons and a few other period items. Finally got the first coin out of this field - an 1838 LC in pretty decent shape. I also dug a strange item that I almost tossed as trash, but when I got home and cleaned the dirt off I could clearly see an eagle on the side. When I first dug it I thought it resembled part of a pewter ring but both Dan and I dismissed that idea quickly. But after cleaning and seeing the details and the shape I'm about 95% sure it is in fact part of a ring. It also has a round area on top that obviously held a large stone. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Based on the other finds in the area it probably dates to the early 1800s. Appreciate any additional info that you can provide on this item. Below are pics summarizing my finds from the 2 hunts at this site. Had a lot of fun Dan - many thanks again for the invite ..... Bill

Attachments

• 010712a.JPG
    010712a.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 524
  • 010712d.JPG
    010712d.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 542
  • 010712e.JPG
    010712e.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 535
  • 010712h.JPG
    010712h.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 534
  • 010712i.JPG
    010712i.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 539
Upvote 0

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as always your finds stink :angry5: just kidding nice haul ;D :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard:

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Keep on swinging!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,
it is funny that it ended up being exactly what we both thought it was. I have never seen one made out of pewter, but I guess it could be a white metal form. I have a ring with the same eagle on it - then again Beau dug one similar as well that was civil war period. Either way, it will be fun trying to figure it out. Got your emails, will get back to you soon - was busy watching the Giants WIN!!!!!!!!

Had a blast and we will get together again and scratch at a few more new sites especially now that hunting season is over.

Dan

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice digs Bill. Thats a good looking large cent and interesting ring. Looks like you might be on to some spots with excellent potential.
-Evan

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tomjiggy said:
Very nice finds. The piece you found looks like a graduation ring similar to the one I bought when I graduated from boot camp. I'm not sure how old it is but it has the eagle on the side and that hole in the top would be where the stone would fit.

http://www.jostens.com/rings/custom_rings_jewelry_cp_military.html

This looks similar, but keep in mind that they can be customized.

Yes, that was my first reaction as well - looks like part of an old ring.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bill, I really like that concave button with the scalloped edges and the star in the middle!

VMI99

Mar 24, 2011
My two cents. Combat ring (cheap metal), made to be worn everyday, instead of a class ring (gold)...regrardless cool finds!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no doubt it is part of a ring. my impression is that it is a patriotic ring made of pot metal and dates to either the Spanish-American war or WW1 era.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread