A few relics from a WW1 training camp dumpsite.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to wait until the 6" coil came out to hunt this spot. My buddy and I decided to go ahead and take our Nox's out and give it whirl anyways. This is one of the most iron polluted places I've hunt with the Nox and it did very well considering we had the 11" coil where you really need a much smaller coil. This was my buddy's second outing with the Nox and he actually did a great job adapting to it under the circumstances. I was running Park 1, 2 tones, recovery speed 7, iron bias 0, tone break set from -9 to +8 with low tones assigned to this bin, high tones from +9 and up. Ground balance set to 0, sensitivity set at 18.

I was using a new pair of APTX earbuds that was more than fast enough with no lag at all. This machine is unreal in the iron, I had zero problem with the iron giving false signals, which I think it had to do with the iron on or near the surface and the soil was bone dry. It may be a different story if I ever hunt it after a good rain. Even though there was a nonstop barrage of low tones, when I did hit a digable target there was no doubt about it. I was surprised at how well the Nox hit with consistent VDI's, not that I was going by the numbers, but, it was rather impressive anyway. My buddy and I both noticed that we were digging deeper hits with the Nox than we did with the Etrac or the CTX in this spot.

Attachments

• IMG_7750.JPG
    IMG_7750.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 130
  • camp cody ground.jpg
    camp cody ground.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 14

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still looks like a heck of a site. Slow, slow, slow and your still getting some nice finds!!! :icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relic hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great results, and a salivation-inducing shot of the junk-strewn surface. Have you ever tried digging for bottles in this area, or is everything basically on the surface and spread-out? One thing I've learned hunting for bottle dumps to dig is that the beginning point of a natural ravine/ditch was an easy point to dump carts of garbage, so if there is any variation in the terrain there, especially ravines/ditches, there is a good chance that deep dig-able deposits might be waiting. As the head of the ditches were filled and raised to the surrounding surface level they continued filling down the course of the ditch, so when you see evidence of garbage you can extrapolate the hidden/buried dumping area from the contour/angle of the remaining exposed/unfilled lower stretch of the ditch, if that makes sense. So if the grade of the bottom of the ditch suddenly becomes much more steep or the ditch terminates in a manner inconsistent with the point that the angle of the 2 banks of the ditch would indicate then human activity is often the cause. Lots of ravine dumps are obvious, but when they've been "capped" with soil sometimes only a few shards and clinkers remain to evince the dump, which makes them easy to miss unless you're being very observant.

Anyway, what does that badge fob say? Looks very interesting

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that watch fob said.... 1st artillery... Iowa.... Brownsville Texas... Mexican border service.... 1916

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was cool hunt dan , at first it was crazy but after use hearing all the targets was find some buttons , 6 in coil come in back to the dump, congrats on ur finds , the watch fob is cool part of history

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions