A few thoughts and rocks from Henbury N.T.

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hi all , this will be my first post here on the meteorite forum . Iā€™ve been reading some of your post for the past year or so, Iā€™m usually hangnā€™ down around on the Native-American Artifacts Forum . Anyway I have a few meteorite stories I thought I could share.
As a boy I had the fortune to move to Australia, Alice Springs in the Northen Territory, A.K.A. The Red Heart . It was a boys paradise , like the old west it had cowboys that really used there horses for work ,the miners swore and drank to much and the natives still lived on the land . The earth itself would give up itā€™s treasures in the way of gem stones and crystals, we even found treasure from outer-space, meteorites, it was the land of plenty ..
jpeggrmeteorites.jpg

Henbury meteorites run about 90% Iron , 8% Nickel , 2% ?
The black round "thing" is a australite [tektite]

Some 4700 yrā€™s ago an iron mass came screaming across the sky at 40,000 Km Hr. , this mass exploded just before it impacted with earth . This explosive event has left itā€™s mark on the land in the form of 13 craters . The largest , an oval ā€œdoubleā€ crater measures 200m by 109m and is 15-18m deep. The smallest crater is only 10m across. This impact was witnessed by the Aboriginal people, there translated name for the craters [Iā€™d say event ] is ā€œsun walk, fire devil rock ā€œ . Up into the 70's the Aboriginal people didnā€™t camp or go near the craters , this has probably since changed , but I think it could be said that this impact left itā€™s mark upon man as well .

jpegtektitemet.jpg

I didn't find this australite, found by Finly a aboriginal stockman that worked for a friend .

Australite, a tektite from Australia, nearly all australites look as if they achieved orientation, but this maybe like saying rain drops achieve a stable orientation. In the early 70's tektites were ,by most believed to have been extraterrestrial in origin , a few believed that they were terrestrial , the Aborigines believed they were emu eyes , and used them for tools .

One funny story, from huntā€™n meteorites near Henbury is this one about my Dads friend, the one that got us going out ,meteorite huntā€™n . Anyway ,this guy goes out near Henbury , he parks his landcruiser in the shade of a very lonely tree, now you must understand heā€™s parked near/under this tree 5or6 times before . He grabs his state of the art B.F.O. metal detector, takes 5-6 steps away from the landcruiser and tries to ground his detector, he could not get that detector to null-out . As he swings around to go back to the landcruiser to ā€œfix itā€ it nulls-out ,.... hmmmm long story short, the tail-gate wasnā€™t to far for that 40 lbā€™s . Anyway Iā€™ve always liked that story

Sincerely ; Blindpig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread