A Few Words About The Negative Light On Our Hobby

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems there is always concern over the future of our hobby and the negative image that some fear is being cast over our hobby, but the truth is, most of this amounts to self inflicted damage. I recently read a comment voicing their opinion on how the media and crowds are making us out to be a bunch of thieves and weirdos. My reply to this, why wouldn't they? Our hobby is different then most, having been built upon as a hobby that requires our utmost attention to detail and unbothered precision. As a result the very nature of daily hunts further endorses the very image we fear, that of the loner type who is unsociable, unfriendly, and largely a strange outcast from typical society. We all do it and have done it, our irritation and frustrations and hurry to escape often looming way too large when approached on the beach and asked questions. So why wouldn't they think us a strange lot when we go about our hobby casting the very presence of the image feared? This is even more true of us who are a constant presence on the beach.

Recently I have had the opportunity to hunt with a new beach acquaintance, a very good and serious hunter who never turns down the opportunity to socialize with folks, even if it means he might miss the last half of low tide in prime hunting territory. And mind you, he is always pleasant and friendly and unrushed when socializing on the beach, his conversations always ending in smiles and friendly laughter. These are the hunters I most enjoy hunting with, those that take the time to stand in strong opposition to the image our hobby so badly fears but continues to cast. When you continually blow off those interested kids in sight of adults it only serves to further solidify that weird and strange and unsocial opinion in their heads. Instead, stop what you are doing and spend some time having a little fun with the kids, those nickels and pennies in your pouch buying you so much more then their face value when you help those kids find some real buried treasures on the beach. This past summer I walked the beach and handed out a very large quantity of sunglasses I had found on the beach to the kids who were without, their little eyes lighting up like torches as they tried to select a pair that they liked. Didn't matter that most of the glasses were to big for their little heads, their parents enjoying the spectacle of it all and voicing their appreciation to the sociable and friendly guy they have often seen metal detecting the beach. Take some time to take some interest in them, be friendly and social even it means that your going to lose some precious hunting time. I can honestly say that I have many, many associations on my area beaches now that no longer view me as a just another quiet and unfriendly weirdo with a detector in his hand, countless others who I have never seen again from all walks of life and from over the world. I wasn't always like this, perhaps taking the hobby far too serious, so serious that I was actually casting the very image that I so desperately wanted our hobby to avoid. Just something to think about the next time you're on the beach and you're about to be interrupted and inconvenienced. How you respond and the image you cast in that moment is entirely up to you. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as I don't mind being approached for conversation and the like, I am amazed at the lack of still a stranger to kids. I have 2 young gals and 1 older lad I would beat some butt if hey just wandered up to someone who they don't know. Kids are kids, but rather parents take a bit more of an active role in being with the toddler while they inquire. Takes a community to raise a kid but you also have to participate and not sit over at the pavilion stink eye'n the metal detecting person.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talk to adults and kids about our hobby. I do not let kids help me recover my targets because if one of them cuts their hand on a pull tab or broken beer bottle, I would be responsible. In the water, I worry they will hurt their feet on my scoop and I have a hard time paying all my medical bills and can't afford to pay anyone else's.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think one of the worse things we can do is to continue to alienate ourselves. It's a beach, people go there to frolic in the sand and water, the notion that they should make special room for someone with a metal detector and scoop in his hands presenting a ridiculous and unreasonable expectation, even more so where kids are concerned. I'm a beach hunter and sometimes I go to the beach just to relax, always amazes me when I see a determined detectorist weaving their way around tightly packed parked vehicles, canopy tents, sunbathers, and frolicking swimmers that are often packed into that good looking trough like sardines, all the while never offering a friendly face or smile or pausing to entertain the obviously curious. Honestly, it just presents a bad image and leaves a bad impression. Not always easy to make the effort or to take the time, but in the long run I really think our hobby would be much better off. and like I said, I've been guilty of it too, but sometimes I think we need to step back a bit and take a good look at things from the other side. Never going to satisfy everyone but if you can satisfy just a few each time you go to the beach then you've placed some positive impact on the hobby.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately,over the years, I think T.V. and movies have portrayed us as either a weird old guy wearing sandals and black socks or some strange anti social local character.I don't usually hunt the beach in my neck of the woods during tourist season. Not trying to avoid people,as I'm more than happy to talk to them about what I'm doing.There Is so many people on the beach here in season that I'ts almost impossible to hunt. Anyways, after the season, there is still a few people out there, and when I get stopped, I always have a smile and a story!

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Agreed - There are many good points here. While I am social and never mind taking a few moments to share with a stranger or a curious child, I am not a social director or a babysitter. I work a full time high pressure job locked in a cubicle within an office with no windows 50+ hours a week. Many of those hours are spent looking forward to swinging my coil on beach during the upcoming weekend. This is of course if the weather permits and I have no other obligations. I am not on vacation or retired. If all the planets align precisely, I might be lucky enough to have 4-5 treasure hunting hours on a Saturday or a Sunday. This is my "ME time" when the batteries are recharged and the previous week is washed away. It is both therapeutic and a brewery component of my life that allows me to maintain my sanity.

With this considered, as much as I have a responsibility to fill my holes and not infringe upon any one's personal space, beach goers also need to keep their children from following me relentlessly while I try to enjoy my day off. I always stop and talk to kids and answer their questions, but if I wanted to spend my weekend entertaining children, I would have had some of my own. I have never not obliged an inquisitive youth and have handed out clad, toys that I've found etc, but there is also a point when its time to put the headphones back on and get down to business.

I guess that there's a line that we need to walk where we aren't stereotypical anti social grouches in socks and sandals but at the same are able to enjoy the world's greatest hobby that we all spend so much time dreaming about.

I hope that in find it some day : )

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed - There are many good points here. While I am social and never mind taking a few moments to share with a stranger or a curious child, I am not a social director or a babysitter. I work a full time high pressure job locked in a cubicle within an office with no windows 50+ hours a week. Many of those hours are spent looking forward to swinging my coil on beach during the upcoming weekend. This is of course if the weather permits and I have no other obligations. I am not on vacation or retired. If all the planets align precisely, I might be lucky enough to have 4-5 treasure hunting hours on a Saturday or a Sunday. This is my "ME time" when the batteries are recharged and the previous week is washed away. It is both therapeutic and a brewery component of my life that allows me to maintain my sanity.

With this considered, as much as I have a responsibility to fill my holes and not infringe upon any one's personal space, beach goers also need to keep their children from following me relentlessly while I try to enjoy my day off. I always stop and talk to kids and answer their questions, but if I wanted to spend my weekend entertaining children, I would have had some of my own. I have never not obliged an inquisitive youth and have handed out clad, toys that I've found etc, but there is also a point when its time to put the headphones back on and get down to business.

I guess that there's a line that we need to walk where we aren't stereotypical anti social grouches in socks and sandals but at the same are able to enjoy the world's greatest hobby that we all spend so much time dreaming about.

I hope that in find it some day : )

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Agreed. It is certainly a balancing act, of sorts. But I also think there are times and situations when it's best to just avoid things all together or to seek a different place/area to hunt. It's a hobby, not a means of life support, and yet some treat it that way "all the time". I fully understand and appreciate what you're saying though, my everyday being surrounded with the daily care for a father with Alzheimers and a mother with a bad heart who isn't that far behind. So I fully understand the component of stress and the need to escape it at every chance. :thumbsup:

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for this post Bigscoop... It is one of the best posts I have read in the past two years... Hat's off to you... This is what I have always believed..

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see a photo of the man and his 4 year old boy using his metal detector. That would be cute.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Yea that was a cool father and son moment. On the other hand the little pirate is getting me loot.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea that was a cool father and son moment. On the other hand the little pirate is getting me loot.
Aaargh the little matey done found your treasure.:treasurechest::blackbeard::skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread