A first for me and I SCRATCHED it.

metalworker

Aug 8, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20170514_191642.jpg Me and my son went to a older park and a permission today. The park has been well hunted found some clad and a piece of a old die cast car. We had permission for a little lot so went there. It had a lot of metal pieces in the ground causing a lot of sketchy readings which I am sure you all have had lots like that. I got a couple of wheat pennies and a gold cladded bracelet. As we were about done I got another deep sketchy reading so I dug it. I cut my plug over the pinpointed area and went about 7 inches down. I put my probe in and it said it was way off to the side of the plug. Being as that is what the slaw and metal pieces were saying I figured it was the same so I carelessly stuck my shovel into the side of the hole instead of digging it and scratched it good pulling it out. I was sick at scratching it but happy for a first for me, a seated dime. Thanks all for looking and hope you are all doing well and staying safe. IMG_20170513_205636.jpg IMG_20170513_205732.jpg IMG_20170513_205658.jpg IMG_20170513_205719.jpg IMG_20170513_205746.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 34
OP
OP
M

metalworker

Aug 8, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks trapperart, if it had been a rosie I might not of felt as bad, but being a seated and a first kind of made me sick. I hope I learned my lesson, just don't be so lax cause it might still be something nice playing not so nice lol.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep, it happens but it is still better to have done that and got the coin than not getting the coin at all( you gotta look at the positive even when its hard to) congrats

OP
OP
M

metalworker

Aug 8, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right and thanks for the positive spin dirtlooter.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only recovered 2 Seated Dimes. The second one I dug is an 1875 in Mint condition. I really wacked that one good with my Lesche Digger. When I posted it, everyone said it was okay and that they too had scratched a silver coin in the past. Well, I know they were being nice and trying to make me feel better, but it still bothered me. It was a valuable lesson and I have not scratched another silver coin since. I haven't dug another seated either but I now always give a silver signal a wide berth when digging.
Congrats on a nice hunt and all your finds.

Last edited:

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep it happens. Did the same thing to a seated I found a few weeks ago. Crappy feeling... but it happens to all of us, still a great find!! Be proud!!

Congrats and HH

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At least it wasn't a valuable seated dime. When you scratch something really valuable then you can feel sick. Anybody that hunts a lot will have scratched a few coins. Nice save.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, you really beaned her. :laughing7: Bummer. Oh well. Still a great score!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the first Seated dime and the valuable lesson it came with. Like others have testified to "we've" all scratched a nice coin along the way. As another member stated we learn to give much grace to the size of our plugs from then on when digging potential keepers from the soil. She still looks marvelous to me BTW. Congrats mate.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree. That looks like an old injury, some oxidization in the deep sections, so no way is that fresh looking.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better a seayed dime with a scratch than no seated dime at all. Nice find.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked up the 1874, I see no mint mark on yours, so your good. IF you scratched it, not to beat yourself up over it. We have all done it. Now, I have a horror story about a key date coin I found.........never mind, I learned a huge lesson. Any seated liberty coin is a Great find.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the seated . She just has a little beauty mark now . I know exactly how you feel , I gave my first ever capped bust dime a good gouge and was sick about it for days . I might still be come to think of it . ;)

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the seated . She just has a little beauty mark now . I know exactly how you feel , I gave my first ever capped bust dime a good gouge and was sick about it for days . I might still be come to think of it . ;)

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

I would know how he felt if he actually did it, but he can stop feeling sick now.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your first seated coin! Its a beauty, and a nice bit of dug history. Hope there are many more in your future.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a good day out swinging! :occasion14:
A Seated and some Wheaties is a pretty good day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions