image-2249890342.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow nice double clipped! I've only found a couple single clips. no idea on the value, sorry.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! Never seen a double clip. I'd get an opinion by a dealer, than if it is worth it, maybe send it out to grade if it is like a $100 + coin. I've came across two or three clipped planchet halves but never a double clip

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I traded a single-clip Kennedy clad for a Walker.

I was happy with the trade.

Keep on Rollin' !

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately, you can't check for the Blakesley effect, which is an effect that is likely to make a clip genuine. The Blakesley effect is that the rim on the side opposite the clip will be weaker. Obviously, the clips are on opposite sides of the coin .

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a rare clip error. Most common ones are small and not double clipped. I've only found 2 so far.

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
All I can say is, Wow! Has that thing been in circulation that long and not already cherry-picked. I'd say it's worth a good deal, if it is the real deal. Nice find, King Conley! :icon_salut:

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
No I meant I found 2 single clipped ones. One being a 1979 penny and the other a 1979 nickel. I will post pictures in the new tread about Canadian error coins found by CRH.
Oh yeah, I also found a grease filled error, I though that was pretty cool looking coin.

smitty58d

Feb 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my last clipped to the dealer and he told me it was grinded down. Thought I had a good one

OP
OP
conleytheking

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah all the coin dealers around my location are full of ****. Lol.
I'd trust one of you guys over one of them any day.

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the edge of the clip with a magnifier. If the edges are upturned (or downward depending on your perspective) in anyway, it is likely done by someone after minting. If the edges are nice and even then the possible upturn from the act of punching out a blank would have been corrected by the press when the coin was minted. (If that makes sense) If they are cleanly sheared and even it is likely real but still may need a certification. A double clip is definitely rare especially that size and that denomination, remember they mint less halves than cents, so it is already rarer. Good find.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice with some missing it looks like its worth 37 cents. Just kidding You will have to let us know if its real when you find out!!!

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I once heard, but only expierenced it with a 37 P clipped wheat, that if you can take another penny, and the rims fit perfect on the clip, its a clipped planchet Not really sure

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I once heard, but only expierenced it with a 37 P clipped wheat, that if you can take another penny, and the rims fit perfect on the clip, its a clipped planchet Not really sure

More likely to be real, but not foolproof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread