A first for me.

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys, dug this up in South East England. I dig loads of lead bits n bobs but none quite like this, it's got pattern on the flat base with a hole for a fine thread to fit through at the top.

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be... certainly was a something.

Steve 20200813_073729.jpg20200813_074250.jpg20200813_074242.jpg20200813_074205.jpg

Upvote 20
I don't have a clue, but it sure is intriguing. Hopefully, someone will know.

Mediëval seal matrix

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply, I love it even more now[emoji106]

Awesome that's freakin cool and old. Great find

Its a good sign of hammered nearby. So grid that area well.
You're right about the hammered coins, had lots on the that field and even a Scottish Charles Ist 2d hammered coin which was a nice first for me....tbh I'd assumed they'd used our coins.

You're right about the hammered coins, had lots on the that field and even a Scottish Charles Ist 2d hammered coin which was a nice first for me....tbh I'd assumed they'd used our coins.
Yeah, lots of Scottish & Irish coins circulated down here. Most of them at a fraction of face value, because of silver content (or lack of when talking billion types) & weight differences. (depending on period)
You had to be pretty savvy as a trader, which is why coin weights were needed. (especially with gold where you could lose a lot of money)

Last edited:
You may even get a coin weight from that field.

I'm just glad somebody around here knows something. Of course, I doubt that many of those things are laying around in south Georgia.

I'm just glad somebody around here knows something. Of course, I doubt that many of those things are laying around in south Georgia.
Not from that period but I think I've seen the odd 17th C type come out in the older parts of the US. Plus many (relatively speaking) 18-19th C types about.

What's it made of? Gold?

Very interesting piece, and a great ID by the t-net community. Congrats!

Very interesting and cool relic, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

What's it made of? Gold?
That would be a banner find.

No its lead, then next up would be bronze, then silver. Not really seen any early gold version, but I guess there might be.

So this vicar or possibly a merchant was on the bottom rung of the ladder but important enough to seal letters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back