A first today, and a realization

fender346

Feb 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
explorer se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pleased to report that I dug my first buffalo today at about 5 inches with my trusted 250!

I'm very happy with this find, however it led to the realization that:

1.) I love metal detecting almost as much as fishing.
2.) Its about time for me to move on to a "better" machine.

The Ace250 has treated me very well over the past couple of weeks,
but I just can't deal with the possibility that I missed some deeper coins that other machines would have heard.

Can anyone recommend a solid upgrade that won't exactly put too much strain on the wallet?
thanks
buff015dddd.jpg

Upvote 0

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job on your finds. i don't know what your price range is but i do like my xlt. it's my first machine been doing it since feb. i'm sure you will here some other good opinions on other machines... good luck

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Very nice finds at five inches not to shabby.I use a Garrett 550 and I am very pleased with it.
It is very easy to use and does a decent job on depth.I use mine mostly on CW Relics.It won't
hurt your wallet to bad either.But,I am sure you will hear a lot of good about some other machines.

fortbball9

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on all your finds. As for a upgrade, there is nothing wrong with your ACE
250. I have many detectors and the ACE 250 is one of my top picks while hunting. The first year I had my ACE 250 I found over 4,000 clad coins with it, not counting over 100 silver coins, many rings and many tokens. I also found a 6 pound cannonball 10 inches down in the ground. If you want to upgrade, get the bigger coil and a SunRay probe for your detector. Also a good headset is a must, one that you can adjust the sound for each ear. I use a pair of SunRay headsets. They aren't cheap, but boy do they ever sound good.

I am including a picture of my finds,

HH, Ringfinder

Attachments

• Best View of coins and ACE.jpg
    Best View of coins and ACE.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 745
  • Best View of coins and ACE.jpg
    Best View of coins and ACE.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 754

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
ringfinder said:
Congratulations on all your finds. As for a upgrade, there is nothing wrong with your ACE
250. I have many detectors and the ACE 250 is one of my top picks while hunting. The first year I had my ACE 250 I found over 4,000 clad coins with it, not counting over 100 silver coins, many rings and many tokens. I also found a 6 pound cannonball 10 inches down in the ground. If you want to upgrade, get the bigger coil and a SunRay probe for your detector. Also a good headset is a must, one that you can adjust the sound for each ear. I use a pair of SunRay headsets. They aren't cheap, but boy do they ever sound good.

I am including a picture of my finds,

HH, Ringfinder

ACE 250,,,,,,,,, :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :headbang: :headbang: :thumbsup: WOW WHAT A PILE,,,,

ARTHUR

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Detecting is better than fishing. You dont stink afterwards, dont have to wash the boat, flush an engine, or clean any gear. You dont have to get yer hands grungy cleaning fish only to find fish scales in the darndest places for weeks to come. I dont think I have been fishing in the 10-11 months since I started detecting. Also, you always get somethin with a detector, whereas fishin has those no nibble days. Yep, fishin doesnt do it for me anymore, but man, diggin them old coins in the woods or gold rings on the beach is awesome!
Anthony

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
humm think carefully -- using a 9 x 12 coil on a ace 250 *in relic mode --- during recent testing done overseas the ace 250 beat the find depths of a standard coil xlt in mixed mode by about 1 inch on adverage * --- so don't be so quick to throw your old friend to the curb -- since the xlt cost twice what the $300 dollar ACE 250 package with standard and big coil run--- and for a few bucks more you can get the sniper coil as well. --- so at less than $400 its totally and fully outfitted for less than 2/3rd the cost of a "standard coil" only xlt -($600)-

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
ringfinder said:

Holy crap RF! That's why I love my Ace 250 also! Great job!

Good advice here......The ultimate decision is yours though. Dealers will only tell you what they want you to hear. Good luck!

HH,
Moon

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
ringfinder said:
250. I have many detectors and the ACE 250 is one of my top picks while hunting. The first year I had my ACE 250 I found over 4,000 clad coins with it, not counting over 100 silver coins, many rings and many tokens. I also found a 6 pound cannonball 10 inches down in the ground.

Wow, this is amazing. I bet you sell a few Aces every time you post this pic somewhere. You should get an affiliate-account with Garrett and post a link to their sales page so you can get a cut of the sales for each reference! Very inspiring, man, thanks for sharing this. I think you've probably made fender reconsider throwing his Ace under the bus!

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
I think the real thing is that you'll find as many "this one's better" opinions as you will people giving them. Stick with the 250 awhile longer. If you think your missing out, believe me, your not. I had a 250 I bought awhile back and only ever found pull tabs with it. The fact that people find stuff with it suggest it's the places you go, not what you use. If I remember right, you could always just upgrade the coil size to a bigger one, which might help.
Personally, I've been satisfied with my eagle spectrum, although I recently bought a viper so I could go into the water this summer. Good luck n happy hunting!

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
I suggest getting a the top of the line tector. Like a DFX, E-trac, or a Fisher F75. If you look really hard I bet you could find one online somewhere for as cheap as a mid grade. They might go a little bit deeper than the ace 250, but the best part is the ability to identify a target better. I love my ace, but with my DFX I can almost call what i dig every time. Almost. ;). I know you can find a DFX on ebay for 800 or less. My ace is the favorite for sandy beaches though.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me, your love it more than fishing soon. I hardly get time to cast a line :laughing7:

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Nice work fender all done with the fishing except for a couple of surf casting nights with my brother
and a ballgame on the radio HH Mike

OP
OP
fender346

fender346

Feb 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
explorer se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all let me say "welcome to the end of metal detecting."
now thats deep :wink:

Thanks for the valuable insights guys!

Its a known fact that the ace250 is a workhorse. It holds its own against many high end detectors and is a steeple in the TH community.

In fact, those were the very reasons I purchased my ace, as I was looking to match a par performing machine with a reasonable price.

Anyways, I'm still gonna be in the market for another detector, but I also realize that sticking with what I got is highly plausible option thats not to be underestimated.

...alright, enough of this...I'm goin fishin ;D
thanks again

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if they could add an option on the ace to be able to ground balance it would be a winner, volume control would be nice too, that sucker is so loud.

But I too had the ace for a year before I upgraded, I was constantly thinking I was missing deeper coins because my hunting partner used a DFX and he constantly found coins at depths my ace could not even hit a signal. I upgraded to the minelab x-70 and went back and re-hunted several sites that I hunted with my ace. And I found a lot of deeper coins that my ace just did not reach. I do not blame you for wanting to upgrade.

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
I experienced much the same thing when I got into detecting, and yes, I also started out with an Ace 250. I knew within a couple of months that I loved the hobby and wanted an eventual upgrade. Everyone has a different opinion on brands, performance, features that make the biggest difference and I'm not going to give mine here. Just tell you what I did.

I decided that my hobby wasn't going to use up any "paycheck" money, so whatever I ended up buying was going to be paid for by clad. With a withdrawal from my clad bucket for batteries and my wife and kids dipping into it for a soda now and then, it took me three summers to build up a clad total of almost $700. The entire time, I was researching my new purchase, but more importantly, learning my machine and metal detecting fundamentals. Turns out that the fundamentals (depth, separation, target masking, response to ground mineralization, confusing VDI) gradually started to make sense in actual field conditions on real hunts.

I'm really happy to say that when I did upgrade to a vastly more complex machine, I pretty much felt right at home with it and feel like I'm already getting a return on my investment. Did I find deeper coins that I'd missed before? Yes, in my grandmother small yard I found seven or eight more oldies. But I also found other coins that I'd missed that were definitely within depth range of most all machines, including a Barber dime, because they were next to trash and I could separate it more easily with my new machine.

Best of luck to you, and until you decide what and when for your next purchase, have a great time and know that you are hunting with a very good machine.

MP

titan

Jun 29, 2007
northwest tn.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Whites MXT is a great machine for the $$. It sounds like you have made up your mind to "upgrade", instead of getting more accesseries for youp 250.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
My son upgraded from his Ace250 to a Minelab X-Terra 70, and he loves it. The X-Terra 30, 50 and 70 are all on sale right now at a large, florida based distributor that shall remain unnamed. If you can't figure it out, then PM me.

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I do not have a detector yet, Grandmas 30 year old detector was dead out of the case, so I have been thinking about getting the Ace 250. Thanks for all of the info and tips, and I hope to have one soon.

Speckled trout are biting like crazy at the coast right now, and I got a big red last weekend, so I do not think getting a detector will kill my fishing, but I bet it puts a dent in it. Everywhere I go, I think to myself, wow, thats an old homesite, or thats an old park....you guys gave me the bug, and I do not even have a detector yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread