🔎 UNIDENTIFIED A flat button with a horse

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine came across this flat button with a horse and a plow. It reminds me a little of a NJ state copper, but I'm pretty sure it isn't one. This was found in SW Pennsylvania. There is text on the back, but it is illegible.
IMG_20240208_120803.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240208_120813.jpg
    IMG_20240208_120813.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First impression of the "horse" is a knight chess board piece. To the right of it there appears to be a ladder standing on something horizontal. Is there any letters on the reverse - possibly at 6 o'clock? If so, what are they?

Attachments

• Flat button with horse.jpg
    Flat button with horse.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 5
OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First impression of the "horse" is a knight chess board piece. To the right of it there appears to be a ladder standing on something horizontal. Is there any letters on the reverse - possibly at 6 o'clock? If so, what are they?
There is text on the reverse, but nothing I can read. If it were mine I would try a few different things to try and read it, but since it isn't, I can't.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's definitely a certain similarity to the NJ state copper. I have to wonder if the horse head and plow is a common symbol that this button is referencing.

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I agree it looks like a livery button. I just found this Facebook page where experts will help identify them-

My wild guess is maybe the Jacob family...? They have a greyhound and a ladder (i.e. Jacob's ladder) associated. But an expert opinion is recommended and from just looking at that page quickly they seem to really know their stuff.

Upvote 8

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elements of the design remind me of livery buttons from the UK.
That would be something you could check out

I agree it looks like a livery button. I just found this Facebook page where experts will help identify them-

My wild guess is maybe the Jacob family...? They have a greyhound and a ladder (i.e. Jacob's ladder) associated. But an expert opinion is recommended and from just looking at that page quickly they seem to really know their stuff.

Agree it's family crest/livery related and it does appear to be something horse-like plus a ladder. Usually when you have two crests together, each on their own torse, it's when two families who each have their own arms have inter-married. The family crest for the male side of the lineage will usually be on the left. Lots of possibilities for both of those crests, which makes them difficult to track without having a full armorial or any mottoes.

Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree it's family crest/livery related and it does appear to be something horse-like plus a ladder. Usually when you have two crests together, each on their own torse, it's when two families who each have their own arms have inter-married. The family crest for the male side of the lineage will usually be on the left. Lots of possibilities for both of those crests, which makes them difficult to track without having a full armorial or any mottoes.
I was hoping you would show up, Redcoat. You've always got good info. I'll go check out the previously mentioned facebook page.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread