Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Got an invite from my good friend Stan to join him in another dig at the mid-1600s site that we've been hitting once or twice a season for the last 10-12 years, and my regular digging buddy Dan accompanied us as well. This trash dump covers a large, sprawling area, and can be up to 5 feet deep in spots. Many amazing finds have come from this spot, but our primary goal each time we dig there is to recover colonial bottle seals or intact clay pipe bowls through both eyeballing and sifting. Once you find a potentially good spot to dig, and get through all the vines and roots and start hitting the trash layer, you've pretty much committed yourself to that one hole for the day due to its size and the time it takes to dig it out, sift, and refill. I found a mostly undug spot, but as luck would have it I could not get my hands on a seal or pipe bowl although the usual assortment of other artifacts were found. One was an interesting brass piece that at first glance in the dirt looked like the spout to a late 1700s cylindrical bottle as you can see from the comparison photo below. But it turned out to be the spout from an 18th century watering can, I believe. About 30 pipe stems also came to light as did some period pottery and glass that was mixed in with the large quantities of brick, oyster shells and bones. These pits also contain huge amounts of small iron comprised primarily of rosehead nails, some with splayed ends as shown in the example below. Going against conventional practice (and my worn out body), I decided to fill in that hole and venture out in search of a spot that might contain earlier 1600s artifacts. I ended up digging in a spot that had been quite productive for me on the last visit, but my attempt to expand on that area was quickly halted due to the large quantity of huge roots that extended to a great depth. Just before we left Dan and I discovered another small area with high potential immediately adjacent to where we've been digging all these years. A couple test holes revealed early onion bottle parts, pipe stems and other c1700 items, and this promising area will definitely be checked more thoroughly when we visit the site again at some point.

012817f.jpg

012817g.jpg

Attachments

• 012817a.jpg
    012817a.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 012817b.jpg
    012817b.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 012817c.jpg
    012817c.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 012817d.jpg
    012817d.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 012817e.jpg
    012817e.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 22

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like your next dig will give up something GREAT Bill!!!!! Gosh that would be ALOT of fun, getting dirty, good finds and hanging with the boys.... BTW , I can't wait till the books finished, DEF will be getting at least one!!!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent assortment Bill! Those onion bottle parts spell potential in capital letters buddy. I have a feeling you guys will be back there soon after finding those in test holes!!

Cheers

Steve

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have followed some of your previous posts and you never fail to impress with some of the stuff you come up with. By description, it sounds like that dump is massive. Congratulations.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt - sifting is a great way to snag those non-metallic items that would otherwise go undetected. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have followed some of your previous posts and you never fail to impress with some of the stuff you come up with. By description, it sounds like that dump is massive. Congratulations.

Thanks man. Massive is a good descriptor as the pit covers an area at least 50ft by 150ft. And up to 5ft deep in spots.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that an oyster shell? Its massive. Imagine how rich the marine ecosystem was back then. Ive dug a bunch of oyster shells but never that size

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic finds! You have "goldmine" to work with for a long time! :occasion14:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see y'all getting out and heaving dirt again Bill. It's always a lot of work but also a lot of fun and you never know what that next sift might turn up.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't anything I like better than seeing those early pit finds. Just looking at the pictures I can smell that distinctive musty earth/oyster shell odor. If only I could bottle that smell....in a complete onion bottle that is :)
You should get Stan to post his finds and hopefully Dan will too.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
That spot will always be one of my favorites of all time. Great to hear you guys got into a new area. Nice post Bill, hope the next hunt yields some seals.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and good luck to you.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome history right there.Todd and myself plan on sifting a few cabin sites come spring.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
17th century American finds are in a League of their own buddy. There's nothing like the feeling of touching some of the first things brought to these shores. Makes me want to leave work and go hunt right now!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread