A Funny Thing Happened...

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This story is an example of how chance, or probability, can appear to be uncanny, or even magical, but is really just odds played out over billions of rolls of the dice. Or, at least, that's what the guys with the slide rules would have us believe.

The short version: Monday, before going out metal detecting, I put my finger at a random spot on a full monitor satellite view of a large park. I then drove to the park, went directly to that spot, found a good signal there, dug a hole, and found a gold ring in the hole.

For those of you who want the details:

Monday, I was thinking about where I could find a gold ring quickly, I didn't have much time. I pulled up Google Earth and was checking on all the parks within 20 minutes driving distance where I'd already found a gold or platinum ring. I was trying to figure out which one would be certain to give me gold today. There simply was no decisive factor that could tell me that any of these parks could do that, no matter how much I scrutinized and pondered the satellite views. Pondering made me feel dull and stupid.

So, I gave up trying to think, and decided to give intuition a bigger play. I selected one park, and filled the screen with my favorite field in that park -the one from which I'd already removed 4 gold rings - and closed my eyes. I detached my mind from my hand, which I was trying to let move at random with a finger on the screen. I went into a sort of meditative state, disassociating my attention from the moving hand, and after awhile I realized my hand had stopped moving seemingly without my overt conscious intention to stop it. I opened my eyes and noted the spot my finger was on. It was an area on the opposite side of the field directly across from the area where I had found 3 of the previous 4 rings. I'd hunted this chosen section thoroughly in the past, and there hadn't been any rings there. Nonetheless, I felt enthusiastic about that spot now.

I waved to the park guy at the front of the field on the way in and he waved back. I walked in a straight line towards the spot. I checked a good signal on the way in and dug up a brass grommet.
That was the only decent signal I encountered between the street and Ground Zero; not surprising, as I had cleaned out this section of the field previously.

As I arrived at Ground Zero, I got another good tone. I dug, saw a flash of gold, and fished out with my fingers a golden band with 3 clear stones. It was heavy for its size. I clean off the inside of the band, pulled out my loupe, and saw: "14k USA".

I was in the exact spot where my finger had stopped on the satellite view.

It was uncanny.

After dancing a little jig, and shooting a little video on my phone, I walked back past the park guy, who inquired, "Leaving so soon?" I'd only been there a few minutes.

"I came, I found, I leave," I quipped, paraphrasing Ceasar.

Did I sell my soul? Is it Monkey Paw time?
shocked.gif
If anyone out there has ever done any divination, please let me know what the deal is? thanks.

There is a natural explanation. You could say that I'd searched that area before, that I was subconsciously aware of a good signal there that I had not dug, and that when I gave my subconscious a clear shot at choosing a spot to hunt, it did its job unimpeded by the noise of my ordinary consciousness.

But even assuming that were true, finding the ring in that hole is still sort of incredible to me.

5th gold ring c23.JPG

5th gold ring inside.JPG

5th gold ring c2.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 6

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. I'm always on the aerial maps looking at spots before I go. Found some great ones. Never quite tried to put my finger on an exact spot, but looks like it might be worth a try. Way to go!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me know when you get real good at it and I will send you a few maps. ;)

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:notworthy: Love the ring! Love the video! :notworthy: Love written play-by-play of your day! :notworthy: Love your intuition! :notworthy:

:icon_flower: The mellow fellow gets the yellow -- 14k heavy ring with stones! :icon_flower: Andi

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Type in government torture and esp.You might already be on some countries list. Be careful what you post about.
People might want you and you'd be surprised how many believe you could be the one with supernatural powers.

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is your 666th post, by the way.

ok, now that's bizarre.

I wasn't going to mention this, because it's embarassing and a downer, but I did suffer a monkey paw effect immediately upon finding the ring; I didn't discover the damage until yesterday...

I left my newish TRX pinpointer on the ground next to the hole where I dug up the ring. The last view I had of my pinpointer was recorded in the video.

btw, anyone not familiar with the Monkey's Paw story, check this. I read the story when I was a little kid, from an old musty book. Scared the crap out of me.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Congrats! Are the stones diamonds?

If your short on time that's the way to do it!

I can't explain the strange either, I just go with it, but if I disassociate my mind from my physical being....not good things would probably happen! :laughing7:

I almost lost my pin pointer at the beach but I found it and swore I'd put a leash on it!
Hope you find your TRX.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Congrats! Are the stones diamonds?

If your short on time that's the way to do it!

I can't explain the strange either, I just go with it, but if I disassociate my mind from my physical being....not good things would probably happen! :laughing7:

I almost lost my pin pointer at the beach but I found it and swore I'd put a leash on it!
Hope you find your TRX.

I haven't verified with a jeweler, but the breath test indicates that they are.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love this post. Monkey paw--that's a new one on me. You seriously just left your pointer?! :( If the rocks are real, and the gold looks chunky, you could probably flip the Au and get a few new toys. :) Keep on diggin' n dowsin', brother.

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love this post. Monkey paw--that's a new one on me. You seriously just left your pointer?! :( If the rocks are real, and the gold looks chunky, you could probably flip the Au and get a few new toys. :) Keep on diggin' n dowsin', brother.
yes, it may be best if I sell this ring asap, considering the monkey paws curse, and the cost of a new pointer.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread