A Gator will Bite the Hand that Feeds it.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man bites gator ..........

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
??? Nobody bit a gator. Maybe I should have changed the title. The poor man lost his arm below the elbow in front of shocked tourists, including children, and drove himself back. Thats the story... not the killing of the gator. Florida Alligator Eats Tour-Boat Captain’s Hand - ABC News

I read the story, appears the captain wasn't the brightest bulb on the tree. I replied directly to the other poster's comment, which apparently was poking fun of the headline

My dad and I used to take a box of shrimp with us when we went fishing under I-10's 3 mile bridge in south Louisiana. There was a gator that kept getting the fish on our stringer, but back then it was illegal to take them. So, dad kinda trained him to behave. We would sit in the boat and throw him a jumbo shrimp every few minutes. He liked them so much he would sit and wait patiently for another. As long as he was getting the shrimp, he would leave our fish alone.

. . . but yeah, I'll bite any gator I get a chance to, especially if he's been cooked at Prejean's in Lafayette.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
hand print-2_edited-3.jpg The bite of a gator is an automatic reflex action. When he sences that there is food, he opens his jaws. When anything touches his tough, his jaws automaticly snap closed.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sorry I didnt understand the "man bites gator" reply. I doubt anybody ate this gator. He was probably simply destroyed. I feel sorry for the man who lost his arm. Actually he was very experienced. People who work around animals are always at risk. It only takes a split second mistake. Tourists want to see gators and he was giving them what they wanted to see. It was an avoidable accident but I thought interesting enough to post.

I thought posting the story might help others that are feeding wild animals. It always ends in the death of the animal or worse in this case. The gator that you were tossing shrimp to is a dead gator. He associates fisherman with food. You might as well have just shot him. But I understand the problem was created by fisherman before you.

Last edited:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
people are lazy in their actions and get complacent and are just plain stupid. tempt nature and nature bites back. then the animals dies.

usual scene.

sad for all involved.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
He probably thought his gator was tamed or "trained to behave" and sometimes it appears this way and all is well but its the one you dont see that will get you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread