A good array of relics but a conspicuous lack of coins.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted a few sites over the last week. The relics keep turning up but the coins seem to be eluding me for some reason. Here's a few site pics of a foundation I hunted today. Seemed promising when I dug a button and some silverware in my first 2 minutes there. The finds died down after that and unfortunately I was coinless for the day. :BangHead: I wonder where all the coins are hiding. :dontknow:

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

Dug a nice little batwing buckle at about 10 inches deep.

004.JPG 005.JPG

Also dug a general service button.

009.JPG

Dug an interesting compact case.

009.JPG 010.JPG

A few compilation pics of all I've dug recently.

008.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG

Upvote 6
I'd love to happen upon an old cellar hole or foundation like yours.

I too have had a dearth of old coins lately, but plenty of relics.

Those coins have gotta be around there somewhere. Maybe venture a little ways into the woods away from the foundation? Can you determine where the entry was - maybe the path leading away from that?

Well I think the buckle in pics 7 or 8, or both, is probably a better find than "most" coins (certainly not all)

NICE BUCKLE !!

I've found sites like this, lots of old stuff, just no coins. It does seem to be the norm to think that there is "always" silver coins there, but it is just not always the case for whatever the reason, weather the people were extra carefull with their money, or just never had any to loose. The point is it's just not always there.

However after saying that, with the amount of targets you did get, I would go back, as there just may be a coin or two there...the worst that can happen is finding a couple more cool old relics.

Good looking site. Good luck on any return visits.

From the research ive done most people did not utilize coins/cash at home unless they went into town. Guess some knew better than to walk around with it in their pockets, too easy to lose. Was wondering the same thing from the older sites in my area, mostly locks buttons and old toy cars are the norm. Have been going to sites i know are marked as old homes, only to find what looks like a bulldozed mess in the woods and a trash pile at the rear of the property. Scant relics, mostly bottle dumps.

Nice finds though, better than anything Ive snagged yet!

My understanding is that in rural farms/homesites of the era that you are dealing with - barter was very common - some corn for some
butter, or some sugar for some bread - Coinage was kind of scarce in many of these areas - I'm less inclined to think that the area was
cherry picked for coinage over the last thirty years, because you found so many good relics ! I am interested to hear what others have
to offer about the lack of coins on this site !!!

Evolution, I know the pain on no coins. I have been hunting a little ghost town and have a virgin site that has yielded countless flat buttons, cloak clasps, thimbles, two Andrew Jackson Victory buttons, yet not a single coin from the era (a few modern from the current farm). It appears that it may have actually had two homes in the pasture and one where the current home stands. Still gives up a flat button or two when hunting the heavy trash. Just can't leave it alone knowing a coin has to be hiding in the square nails somewhere. It has been a running joke with me and some of the other members. Congrats on some great finds.:icon_thumleft:

Evolution, I know the pain on no coins. I have been hunting a little ghost town and have a virgin site that has yielded countless flat buttons, cloak clasps, thimbles, two Andrew Jackson Victory buttons, yet not a single coin from the era (a few modern from the current farm). It appears that it may have actually had two homes in the pasture and one where the current home stands. Still gives up a flat button or two when hunting the heavy trash. Just can't leave it alone knowing a coin has to be hiding in the square nails somewhere. It has been a running joke with me and some of the other members. Congrats on some great finds.:icon_thumleft:
I've had quite a few sites that haven't produced any coins yet seemed plentiful in the relic department. Seems a little strange sometimes.

I can go on a streak where even several old farmhouse yards don't produce coins.
I agree, that in the past there just was not the coin to lose!

At the risk of repeating myself. It is that money was tight, if they had any they were carefull with it...why carry it around home ?
Some sites no coin ??? some sites 10 or more, might depend on how much corn wiskey there was around ?

Anyway there seems no reason for it, as some sites that look "rich" maybe devoid of coin, while another looking more "poor" may have many a coin.

But I will say this, that often the silver coins people "always" expect at a site just because they found a copper or two, just might not be there, and often aren't. Just a fact, and makes them all that much more special when we do find them.

I know how you feel. Sometimes a site is loaded with relics but the coins just don't show up. But many of the early settlers didn't use much coinage as things they needed were often acquired through trade and bartering. I'm sure you'll find one there eventually but it might not be easy. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back