Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't hunted much due to the summer weather, but this morning I had the most rewarding hunt ever, even though it only lasted ten minutes.

I was enjoying a day at the swim club last weekend and was talking to a friend of my 10 year old son who is interested in coins. I was showing him some of the pictures of my finds on my Blackberry and he told me his dad could use my help. As it turns out, about three weeks ago his dad, who I am friendly with, was putting on suntan lotion when his wedding band slipped through his fingers. He spent the next hour or so on his hands and knees looking, but had no luck. He figured if no one had turned it in by now, someone must have taken it. I told his dad I will arrange to go to the club to look for his ring when there is swim team practice and the club is closed.

I got there at 8:55 this morning. I spent about a minute moving a metal mesh table which was the most likely spot, and within 5 minutes got the midrange signal I was looking for, and there it was. It weighs in at over 7 grams. I called up and spoke to his wife who was very appreciative.

The club is nearly trash free with very strict regulations. In the 5 minutes of sweeping a 10x10 foot area I counted 6 quarter signals and 3 dime signals and a few penny signals. The club just celebrated it's 50th anniversary, so I wonder how much money (pre 1964?) and how many rings are in the grass. I may present to the board a fundraising idea to hunt the club after labor day.

7/12: I DELIVERED THE RING LAST NIGHT. THERE IS NO BETTER FEELING THAN TO SEE THE FACE OF SOMEONE WHO HAS RECOVERED SOMETHING THEY NEVER EXPECTED TO SEE AGAIN!

BTW: The 14K ring is inscribed TRUE COMPANIONS 11/-12-94

Attachments

• 2007_0711Image0003.JPG
    2007_0711Image0003.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 611

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Re: A good deed for a child...

Congrats Neil!! You are the man and my personal hero for the day!!
I have done the same a couple times and it is a very rewarding feeling and makes me happy that I have a detector and am able to help someone in distress out like that.

Smiles!
BDoo

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

I love stories with a happy ending! You are definitely a hero to that family! :D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

congrats & Great Going Neil

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find and thanks for shining some light on the hobby! I have found several lost items and a few rings, it is a great feeling to return something. Smart kid as well. HH, Mike

TJPOPELKA

Jul 31, 2006
Escanaba, Mi
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/Minelab E-Trac

Great job Neil-the world could definetely use some more kind people like you!!

titan

Jun 29, 2007
northwest tn.
Detector(s) used
MXT

good deed indeed!! i'm sure you will be repaid ten fold in the end!! :D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions: