A good deed turns into an amazing find.

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes good deeds do get rewarded. I have a small computer business and got a call from an elderly client about his printer, I have been there several times for his printer and other small tasks. Tried to help over the phone but it was clear he didn’t know his way around a computer. Made an appointment for that afternoon and when the time came took a ride over there. As I was riding up to the 1920 era home I thought to myself I would like to detect this yard. After a brief few minutes with the computer printer was again working, I started asking about the house age and told my customer how I liked to detect and if you would allow it I would just forget the bill, he asked what I was looking for and I told him old coins and possibly civil war buttons or bullets as Hampton has a good civil war history. He told me to wait a minute and he went to retrieve something from upstairs. Anticipation was killing me when he came down with 2 small boxes full of civil war buttons and medals. He proceeded to tell me how about 15 years ago his aunt died and they had to clean out her house, her Grand Father had been in the civil war. They had found and old uniform that was in terrible shape and they cut the buttons and medals off of it and tossed the uniform out. He opened one small tin box that had a bullet in it. He said he had been wounded at Chancellorsville and this was the bullet they removed. Wow just looking into the boxes my heart was skipping a beat or two. Then he asked me if I wanted to have them? Looking in the boxes I could clearly see the Va staff buttons and I told him they could be worth money. He said he didn’t care, he had almost thrown them out several times and wanted someone who would appreciate them to have them. It was one of those moments I was choked up only thing that came out was sure. After I started to research it was clear this wasn’t just any Civil War solider, he had lived in my town. He had told me his name E.A. Semple it didn’t ring a bell with me then about who he was. First thing we found out were the Va buttons appear to be post war backmark is nothing I have ever seen. Little more research found that this was Major Edward Armistead Semple, 1842-1910 a road where I lived was named after him, Semple Farm Road, and another after his mother’s side of the family, Armistead. He was in an Alabama regiment when the war broke out, later a Lt in company A, 57[SUP]th[/SUP] North Carolina Infantry rose to Captain. He was wounded at Chancellorsville, recovered and was made Major of his unit. He was captured and imprisoned at Johnson Island prison, released June 13, 1865.
He returned to life in Hampton or Elizabeth City County, VA as it was called then,
and became a civil engineer and county surveyor. Several of his maps are ones we use to find old properties in my area and can be found in the Library of Congress.
I don’t find much about him again until 1905 where he helped as secretary of the committee; organize the Big Bethel Monument where the first Confederate soldier was killed.
Since he was in a NC regiment I can only speculate that maybe the uniform they found was the original and when he joined the Veteran ranks in VA he changed all his buttons, or maybe since he was a prisoner at the end of the war his uniform was tossed out for the march home.
He was awarded the Confederate Cross of Honor that bears his name at the top.
The research continues into his life and service and I will make a special display for everything together. It really makes you wonder what is in people’s attics and closets. Reid
P1070685 (Medium).JPG P1070688 (Medium).JPG P1070690 (Medium).JPG P1070692 (Medium).JPG P1070693 (Medium).JPG Grave.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 50

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
simply an outstanding thing you did to help the man with his computer, and then to be honored with such a gift. nicely done.

S

stefen

Wonder if the family still had his belt, buckles, and officers sword?

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow wow wow! amazing story. amazing relics. honestly, it's the ties that bind in this kind of story that make it all the more meaningful. So many connection points for you. so much rich history - this is what it's all about. congrats!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and artifacts.....good luck with the display case post up a picture of the finished product if you get a chance.

Regards + HH

Bill

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow what a great story I think I would take care of his electronics from now on for free

IndianaHunter27

Oct 28, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, simply amazing story, and those medals are awesome!

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, amazing story! Congrats! Hopefully you share all this with the original owner, its a great story!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Really interesting history and story Reid. Excellent job on the research. Looking forward to seeing those in person one of these days.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I am speechless. Congratz! Definitely make a display and show it with pride!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
whoa what a find and what a kindness from the old man .. he knows what it means to you --sadly it often can mean more to a "stranger" than the mans own family ---odd isn't it..

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NOW THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE DONE! ENJOY THE COLLECTION....YOU DESERVE IT!! MAY YOUR LUCK CONTINUE IN THE FUTURE!!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tremendous provenance there. Adds greatly to the relics.
Well done on the further research too.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post Reid, and fantastic job on the research. You definitely need to put all those items in a nice wooden display case along with the documentation you discussed to ensure provenance is preserved. BTW - did you ever get to hunt the yard??

OP
OP
ReidMan

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Didnt get to yard yet. Sad thing is he has no children his aunt had no children and far as I can tell his family name will die with him as well as as the Semple name. Still doing research found out the Semple name went way back 1500 era.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome, it was meant to be, if you hadn't of went there and then asked about detecting those awesome pieces of history would have gone to the landfill sooner or later!!

Great post Reid, and fantastic job on the research. You definitely need to put all those items in a nice wooden display case along with the documentation you discussed to ensure provenance is preserved. BTW - did you ever get to hunt the yard??

I second Bill's great advice on documenting everything you can!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions