A good deed turns into an amazing find.

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes good deeds do get rewarded. I have a small computer business and got a call from an elderly client about his printer, I have been there several times for his printer and other small tasks. Tried to help over the phone but it was clear he didn’t know his way around a computer. Made an appointment for that afternoon and when the time came took a ride over there. As I was riding up to the 1920 era home I thought to myself I would like to detect this yard. After a brief few minutes with the computer printer was again working, I started asking about the house age and told my customer how I liked to detect and if you would allow it I would just forget the bill, he asked what I was looking for and I told him old coins and possibly civil war buttons or bullets as Hampton has a good civil war history. He told me to wait a minute and he went to retrieve something from upstairs. Anticipation was killing me when he came down with 2 small boxes full of civil war buttons and medals. He proceeded to tell me how about 15 years ago his aunt died and they had to clean out her house, her Grand Father had been in the civil war. They had found and old uniform that was in terrible shape and they cut the buttons and medals off of it and tossed the uniform out. He opened one small tin box that had a bullet in it. He said he had been wounded at Chancellorsville and this was the bullet they removed. Wow just looking into the boxes my heart was skipping a beat or two. Then he asked me if I wanted to have them? Looking in the boxes I could clearly see the Va staff buttons and I told him they could be worth money. He said he didn’t care, he had almost thrown them out several times and wanted someone who would appreciate them to have them. It was one of those moments I was choked up only thing that came out was sure. After I started to research it was clear this wasn’t just any Civil War solider, he had lived in my town. He had told me his name E.A. Semple it didn’t ring a bell with me then about who he was. First thing we found out were the Va buttons appear to be post war backmark is nothing I have ever seen. Little more research found that this was Major Edward Armistead Semple, 1842-1910 a road where I lived was named after him, Semple Farm Road, and another after his mother’s side of the family, Armistead. He was in an Alabama regiment when the war broke out, later a Lt in company A, 57[SUP]th[/SUP] North Carolina Infantry rose to Captain. He was wounded at Chancellorsville, recovered and was made Major of his unit. He was captured and imprisoned at Johnson Island prison, released June 13, 1865.
He returned to life in Hampton or Elizabeth City County, VA as it was called then,
and became a civil engineer and county surveyor. Several of his maps are ones we use to find old properties in my area and can be found in the Library of Congress.
I don’t find much about him again until 1905 where he helped as secretary of the committee; organize the Big Bethel Monument where the first Confederate soldier was killed.
Since he was in a NC regiment I can only speculate that maybe the uniform they found was the original and when he joined the Veteran ranks in VA he changed all his buttons, or maybe since he was a prisoner at the end of the war his uniform was tossed out for the march home.
He was awarded the Confederate Cross of Honor that bears his name at the top.
The research continues into his life and service and I will make a special display for everything together. It really makes you wonder what is in people’s attics and closets. Reid
P1070685 (Medium).JPG P1070688 (Medium).JPG P1070690 (Medium).JPG P1070692 (Medium).JPG P1070693 (Medium).JPG Grave.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 50

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Incredible. Thanks for sharing. That is a treasure.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Story and makes me miss my home town even more. grew up in Foxhill and left for the Navy and have only been back a few times.

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This needs to be shared with the town/city, as it is historically centrist to where you live. Loaning your display to the local museum or town hall for all to see would be the right thing to do.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SOMETIMES A GOOD DEED HAS A REWARD . SWEET.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what's his net worth? I might let him adopt me

OP
OP
ReidMan

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah I think loaning to our local History museum would be a good idea. They dont have the best Civil War displays. Next time they do a Civil War history week I will see if their interested. I donated a button couple years ago and have yet to see it displayed. Reid

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah I think loaning to our local History museum would be a good idea. They dont have the best Civil War displays. Next time they do a Civil War history week I will see if their interested. I donated a button couple years ago and have yet to see it displayed. Reid

IF you do that, which I think is GREAT. Make SURE you get everything documented and that it is a LOAN in writing. I have a small horror story that eventually turned out good after over 10 years but the museum had lost a bunch of bullets and a canon ball I loaned them. The curator got fired and my stuff became MIA. I just got it back last year.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
IF you do that, which I think is GREAT. Make SURE you get everything documented and that it is a LOAN in writing. I have a small horror story that eventually turned out good after over 10 years but the museum had lost a bunch of bullets and a canon ball I loaned them. The curator got fired and my stuff became MIA. I just got it back last year.

If you decide to loan anything to a museum, make sure you have a signed contract that explicitly states that it's just a "loan" and that you still retain full ownership of the item. Also, make sure the museum has insurance to cover any potential loss or damage. I've heard a number of horror stories about this kind of thing over the years, so please make sure you have all your legal bases covered.

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, awesome

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing,, thanks so much for sharing this story.
I would put this man's computer and printer on a "Free Monthly Maintenance Schedule."

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an AWESOME story!!! So cool! And to think he was going to toss them into the garbage!!! UUHHGGGGGG. Just taking the time to "talk" with someone can lead to a treasure of information!!! Congrats on some pieces of history that could never be replaced!!! :occasion14:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Based on how I understand BANNER criteria, this should qualify. That's an amazing story and quite the collection. I'm voting BANNER for the story, the quality of the "finds" and the history you were able to discover. Very nice!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions