A good laugh.... at my expense :)

van Gogh

Jun 1, 2005
-*- Iowa -*-
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum, Minelab Explorer II, strong back and a weak mind
Life usually runs at a pretty hefty pace so it is not often I get or make the time to do some serious detecting. Sunday was that exception to the rule type of day where I actually set aside some time to get out of the house, minus my 3 year old, to test my luck ? er, I mean skill. ;D I decided to go to one of my better spots since I was getting that rare time out and about. Unfortunately the spot is about 50 miles from my house so it an infrequent spot at that.
Once I had finally arrived, it was with much anticipation I started swinging my trusty detector. It was about 10 minutes into the trip that I was noting a continued and consistent amount of feedback. No matter where I went the ground seemed to be full of annoying trash. What the heck had happened at this park since my last visit anyway? But I kept my chin up and kept at it. I rebalanced and retuned more times than you could imagine. Finally, it got to be too much for my poor ears so I decided to go to another park nearby to get some quieter detecting in. I arrived, put the gear back on and whamoo, same deal! Total noise everywhere. I knew I was missing targets left and right with this much junk! What could be the deal anyway? I was starting to feel like my detector had something wrong with it. I?d have to send it back to the factory for re-tuning, I figured, if I ever wanted to hunt efficiently again. It just had to be something with the detector after it failed to work with that many resets, re-tunes and threshold adjustments! 4 hours worth!
Suddenly something occurred to me as I looked down at my coil sitting in front of my big brown boots?.

The moral to the story? If you want a successful day of treasure hunting? leave your steel toe boots at home. ;D

I retrieved my sandals from the car and the last hour of the day went just great!

Upvote 0
R

rb

Nice story just sux that your shoes wasted that much time... Well good to know for future hunts. HH RB

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-[ oops. :D

One hour is much better than no hour!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
van Gogh

van Gogh

Jun 1, 2005
-*- Iowa -*-
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum, Minelab Explorer II, strong back and a weak mind
I actually got a good chuckle out of it. It's always easier when it's my own stupidity! It occurred to me later I have always hunted in the summer and fall otherwise and never had the call to wear boots. He he.

W

wpricetr

Well you got to laugh and go out for a couple of hours relearning you machine ;D
thanks for the laugh

wpricetr

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Getting smarter as we go! I am famous for sliding down hills on my derriere, due to my boots (or gracefullness....will blame boots tho) Now I pack tennys in the backpack for better grip.....I think most have us have done the detect the boots ordeal!! Hahahaha Good Story. ;)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't worry too much about it, Vango.....this is a story I've heard over and over again....Apparently, we detectorists aren't the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. :D :D :D

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 050.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 050.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 183
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 050.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 050.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 179
M

mchamby

:D ;D :o :D Yup I remember hearing a similar story last year, I think, someone
was detecting their steel toed boots. It's gotta make you chuckle. ;)
Mchamby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions