A good lesson...

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I was metal detecting an old site and I found a crumpled up piece of junk, or so I thought. I threw it in the trashbag with all the pulltabs, bottlecaps and can-slaw. I came home and hit the kitchen sink and started washing off all my clad and other goodies I had found and I saw this crumpled up piece of junk sticking out of the bag. I figured it was just a folded piece of tin or aluminum that you find a lot of here in the fields of MA. I decided to wash it off anyways and saw a bit of an image showing through the all the dirt. I figured at the point it was probably a makers mark or something from a piece of farm equipment that broke off years back. As I gingerly unfolded I realized I was looking at the Massachusetts State Seal. Needless to say I was pretty excited. After a couple days I had identified as a MA Militia Cap Plate circa 1825-1840.

I don't think it's my best, but it's definitely one of my favorites and I learned a good lesson. Always double check your finds!!

Here's a link to what it looks like in better shape:
http://www.civilwarpreservations.com/catdet.asp?TargetItem=CHR387&CategoryType=relics

Attachments

• 36861_1468180634129_1521973686_1163544_3502805_n.jpg
    36861_1468180634129_1521973686_1163544_3502805_n.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 594
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good point. Man that thing would have been awsome if it were all there. Nice find. :thumbsup:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very true... you don't know what you have until you get it home... I have a few boxes of junk that I have to go through when I first started detecting ..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty typical dug condition for hat plates, shako badges etc., so you should be happy with it. Regardless of condition it still has the same history!

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Slasher, that's much better than that rotten iron crap you took home from the beach the other day.

Good to see you again.

Old Town

OP
OP
CrazySlasher

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Town said:
Slasher, that's much better than that rotten iron crap you took home from the beach the other day.

Good to see you again.

Old Town

It's sad that I can't bring myself to throw them out. I blame my father.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Blame your father? Was he a Recession baby? The people today who lived through that are all hoarders of some kind. My parents could never throw things away. Always telling the sister and me about the bad times of the Recession.

OT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread