a good metal detector

ctjonb

Feb 22, 2012
Conn.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hello everyone I have been researching metal detectors for quite some time and cannot decide basically I am looking to use it in hopes for gold however my dilema is that I can't afford anything over 350 at the moment cuz i am not working, has anyone used any of the lesser exspensive ones with any sucess or should I just wait till I am working again and buy the nore costly ones ??
Thank You
John

Upvote 0

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Since this is the Gold section, look for a used detector, such as Tesoro Lobo ST, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher Gold Bug pro and/or Whites MXT, GMT, GM2 thru GM4 (as well as various Gold specific MineLabs). The Garrett AT Gold is too new to find many used ones out there, otherwise it would also be on the list. Avoid any detector not specifically optimized for finding Gold (there are few gold detectors that can be used for other THing, but most general purpose detectors won't find smaller Gold, ie, under a gram).

Look on Ebay, CraigsList and contact any Gold prospecting clubs in your area and see who has a used detector for sale. I found my GM2 and GM VSat on eBay (they are quite capable).

Then join a Gold club and learn how to use it (native Gold is a lot harder to find than Coins, so get all the help you can get).

If you want to hunt for more than Gold, you might end up with a different detector for that purpose (I have different detectors for different hunting goals).

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like he said! You kinda get what you pay for, I bought a used detector and had to work on it before it worked. I bought a new detector and it worked right out of the box and then some used detectors just work as well but you have to ask lots of questions first and better yet be standing in front of the owner and test the machine out before the purchase (this is often not possible).

I use a GMT and its found gold for me so of course I'm partial to White's products and that machine. You can get a new one for about twice what you have saved so far and then do not forget to get some kind of headphones. The GB 2 is also a solid machine!
ANY Machine takes a bunch of learning and the more sophistacted the machine the longer/higher the learning curve is. Took me a couple of years to find native gold going out only a few times a season. Took me several months before I found my first gold ring going out lots in the city.

Is a good machine worth the money and the wait to have the money - how high is the possibility there is gold in the ground where you want to hunt? An inexpensive machine will find gold and so will an expensive one, it depends on the mineralization in the ground, # of hot rocks and what the machine can be tuned to in order to lessen the effects of hot rocks and the like.

There are good used machines out there but one has to find them. Oh, except to replace the machine that was stolen from me I've always purchased new. Come to think of it that is not true, the machine that was stolen from me was used BUT the owner let me borrow it and learn it before I bought it from him and that is the best way to buy a used machine and not many of us will have an oppourunity like that...............Good Success with your choices...........63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold detecting and ID disc style machines have improved by unimanagable leaps and bounds in the past 12 years. Our worst of today is better than than the best of a dozen years ago. Remember though ,nuggets are the absoulte hardest,costly,dangerous,time consuming form of detecting and at least 95% never make it---tons a au 2 u 2-John :laughing7:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry partner but good gold MDs, out of the box, are pricey. Just a suggestion.... buy a sluice for about 150.... till you are in a better financial position.... WELCOME to the forum. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions