A good reason to quit.

dirty digger dude

May 16, 2011
Got kicked out the park in Athens, Alabama by a cop. Told me I was destroying city property and he recorded my identification and told me if he saw me metal detecting again he would arrest me. I just want to run my detecting over with my car and call it quits. He made feel like a criminal. I feel unwelcome in my own county. I pack out all my trash and cover my holes.
I feel like a piece of crap.

Attachments

• piffle.png
    piffle.png
    480.6 KB · Views: 821

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some research, find out what the laws are, he can not arrest you unless you are breaking a law.....Your covering your holes and removing the trash, after checking the laws if it is legal I would go talk to the mayor, his supervisor or a city councilman or woman about the treatment...

If there is a law against it then you need to find places that are legal, but if there are no laws against it I would stand up for your rights.......

Also check and see if there is a local metal detecting club near you, if so attend the next meeting.....

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
dirty digger dude said:
I feel like a piece of crap.

Don't let miserable people bring you down with them. You were enjoying a harmless hobby, not hiding in the bushes peeking in a window on some chick getting undressed. I'm sure there are plenty of places to dig in Alabama, so get out there and swing your rig around tomorrow and find something interesting (if you can stand this heat).

:icon_thumright:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What they all said!!

Find out the laws, if there is no law, then stick up for yourself - bring it to the local councils - or who ever is in charge in your area - and, if you have to - make them vote on it.

I don't know how old your area is, but, we got permission from our local town by agreeing to let the museum display any historical items we found - the 2 things most interested in here, is old RR items, and anything from when Teddy Roosevelt was at the town park.

Don't let them get you down.

Beth

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ditto to what's been said.

And I would also add that I do not consider clauses about "destruction", "vandalism", "defacement", & so forth - to apply to me/us. Because think of it: All those type terms indicate END outcome/results, do they not? So if you're leaving no trace of your having been there, well then by golly you're not "destructing", "vandalizing", or "defacing" anything, now are you??

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
After looking at the codes & ordinances page I have found nothing that prohibits MD'ing or the recovery of in ground targets.

Even trying the Search all it came up with was sheet metal fab.

Time to go see this fool superviser cause he's got a case "I got badge mee like GOD"

Unfortunately the standard's for becoming a LEO have dropped off the bottom of the page.
Go see his supervisor and if you strikeout there go see your City/County Council Person.

Making up laws on the spot is not in dodo's job description irregardless of what he thinks.

Hopefully his super will have a decent head on his shoulder's, this idiot is the exception not all LEO's are like him.

You got nothing to lose and if he gets overridden it turns into a harassment case.

GringoStarr

Aug 15, 2009
La Florida
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220, Spartan 175, Metrotech 330, Garrett CXiii With Bloodhound Attachment. Garrett Hand Scanner, and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not really a good reason to quit, there Dirty. First of all, when approached by a LEO, ect... Ask specifically what law you have broken? Respectfully request that he or she quote the statute. It may well be another Th'er has poor housekeeping, and you are being painted by the same brush. Otherwise it may well be you have stumbled on to a very good area, and the LEO, wants exclusive rights to hunt it, or his friends, ect... Definitely follow up with this at the local government level.
Surely there are other areas to hunt, don't be discouraged, and don't quit. Be sure to have an apron full of trash you have removed from the area. When approached by anyone, with the question, "finding anything?" Hand them some trash, and show them the nearest receptacle. Then you are the one set apart from the rest, the one with good housekeeping. This may open some doors for you.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Exanimo! The Gringo

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
dirty digger dude said:
Got kicked out the park in Athens, Alabama by a cop...

They may have been in the process of executing an operation/investigation/etc and you may have been in the "danger zone". From the cops perspective, it may have been easier for him to tell you to buzz-off than explain what they were really trying to do. I would give him a few days, then try to address the situation with him again. I would first send him an email generally stating the details of your interaction as you remember them, and give him a chance to respond by email back to you. Now you have something in writing (email) from him, and if you need to "climb the ladder" of supervisors, you have written proof of your concerns.

All of the above assumes, of course, that you have already done your homework and checked the laws in your area relating to MDing- and there are none that apply to your situation.

Good luck!

OP
OP
dirty digger dude

dirty digger dude

May 16, 2011
"told me if he saw me metal detecting again he would arrest me"

I'll feel pretty stupid asking to quote the ordinance in back of a police car.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirty digger dude said:
"told me if he saw me metal detecting again he would arrest me"

That is your choice, but if it was me and I know that I am hunting legally I will continue to hunt......I would carry a copy of the ordinance with me, he has no right to tell you can't metal detect, as long as your are LEGALLY hunting...... I would also seek some free legal advice, many lawyers will give you a free consultation for the first visit..... I would not let an over zealous officer run me from a hobby I enjoy.......

Have you looked for a local detector club? I would look for one and ask them what they know about it...There is strength in numbers.....

Good luck.....

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
maybe he detects and doesn't want others to get his spots. I'd check the law and then make an appointment with the mayor with the law in hand and get a written persmission from him and laminate it and carry it with you.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sound like a classic BWB case --( Bully Wit a Badge ) -- see me get to boss you around cuz me got a badge. --

if there is no law against it -- if its not illegal by posted "park rules" or regs on line -- and you are not tearing things up , leaving open holes and such -- then you are within your rights to enjoy your hobby at the parks just like others do --

however not wanting to be arrested to make your "case" is understandible and wise -- so now go to his supervisor --explain your case in a clear calm manner --hopefully his boss will know "officer x" is a bit of a jerk --if not your clue in to to supervisor might help .--if the supervisor "backs" officer X --move up the food chain -- since your shut out of the parks by officer x actions anyhow , you got nothing to lose at this point and everything to gain by talking to the "bosses" --worse thing that could occur is "formal" signs go up in the parks --no metal detecting --which since officer x has said he would arrest you if he sees you detecting again in the parks * is basically no loss --so hes done all the "damage" he can really do at this time * --you however still have a full broadside left in your "cannons" -- so fire away --

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
sound like a classic BWB case --( Bully Wit a Badge ) -- see me get to boss you around cuz me got a badge. --

if there is no law against it -- if its not illegal by posted "park rules" or regs on line -- and you are not tearing things up , leaving open holes and such -- then you are within your rights to enjoy your hobby at the parks just like others do --

however not wanting to be arrested to make your "case" is understandible and wise -- so now go to his supervisor --explain your case in a clear calm manner --hopefully his boss will know "officer x" is a bit of a jerk --if not your clue in to to supervisor might help .--if the supervisor "backs" officer X --move up the food chain -- since your shut out of the parks by officer x actions anyhow , you got nothing to lose at this point and everything to gain by talking to the "bosses" --worse thing that could occur is "formal" signs go up in the parks --no metal detecting --which since officer x has said he would arrest you if he sees you detecting again in the parks * is basically no loss --so hes done all the "damage" he can really do at this time * --you however still have a full broadside left in your "cannons" -- so fire away --

Good post and good advice Ivan... :icon_thumright:

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Looked at the laws mentioned and the only questionable one is this:

c. The city recreation department has the right to refuse anyone or any group upon their discretion.

It's possible that it's open to interpretation depending on who's reading it. It can be that someone in the city recreation department looking at you through a window made the call to the police dept.

I'd probably go with a copy of the codes to the local police dept and ask someone there to show you the exact one that can get you arrested....then his supervisor, particularly if he was rude and make a complaint and get a copy and save it. It's like building a preponderance of evidence.

And nothing should be able to stop you if you're metal detecting (cherry picking) for stuff that's laying on top and you're not obviously digging.

Sent you a PM

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stand up for yourself if there are no laws against it. I have been kicked out of places like parks and I know of no laws against it.
I've gone back and he tried it again and told him to get his supervisor here and to show me the laws. He looked around and left.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And now from the other side. As a former 'LEO' for 25 years, you would have caught my attention too, buddy, detecting in the city park. I would have checked to see if you were findin anythin cool and tried to weasel some tips on hot spots out of you. And if I thought you were destroying property I would have taken the time to point out to you how you were and how to avoid it. Seriously, in 25 years I ran into only one detectorist, well alright a person using a metal detector bought at a yard sale, that I had a problem with and was justified for runnin them off. If I would have witnessed what they did, I would have cited them outright. No reason for you to feel like crap, cause you ain't. If you're workin an area like you say, maybe you should be cited for 'improvement to city property'. You think? GH!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
dirty-digger-dude, you say:

""told me if he saw me metal detecting again he would arrest me"

"

You have a point there. Because let's face it: Some people (perhaps you) DON'T like to "fight" things. They'd just as soon NOT have to have debates of merits with cops, city people, etc... for certain things that, to them, aren't worth the fight, no matter how "right" you may actually be.

So on this point, it's a matter of how much you want to hunt. How addicted you are to this, what your tolerance level is to confrontation, etc.... And all those criterias are different, for different people. You know, for example, how some people will cower in fear + break down and cry, if a cop pulls them over for a tail-light infraction, right? While others have a tough "don't care" attitude, and will just laugh it off. Because each of us is different, and looks at "authority" in different lights, and guages what we want to fight, based on the importance we imbue on whatever activity it is, that we wanted to do.

So with this said: you're not going to find any public place, with giant neon signs saying "metal detecting welcome here" + "go ahead and dig holes, steal our cultural heritage", etc.... It just aint gonna happen. To the contrary: there are going to be people who don't like it, for a variety of reasons. And if this bothers a person, then maybe they've chosen the wrong hobby :dontknow: Sort of like driving: occasionally you will get flipped off by other drivers in traffic. And if that's a very horrible experience, then your choice is, to not drive.

Personally, I too don't like getting booted, especially when there's no actual rules about it). But I have a pretty tough skin about it. My solution, is to be much more discreet, and simply "not be seen", to begin with. It's actually gotten to where I do a lot of my park and school hunting at night. So peaceful, so serene, no one around to gripe, etc.... Kind of like nose-picking: as long as your discreet, no one will notice. But the minute you start looking for sanctions, and people's approval for nose-picking, it just aint gonna happen.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA said:
Ditto to what's been said.

And I would also add that I do not consider clauses about "destruction", "vandalism", "defacement", & so forth - to apply to me/us. Because think of it: All those type terms indicate END outcome/results, do they not? So if you're leaving no trace of your having been there, well then by golly you're not "destructing", "vandalizing", or "defacing" anything, now are you??

All good points Tom.

Using that police officers logic I guess he would have to arrest a golfer on a golf course because of all the divits and damage he made with his 5 iron on all that nice manicured grass.

After 25 years in this hobby I've learned to have thick skin. You just move to a new location to hunt when those "busy bodies" come out of the woodwork.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread