A good utility belt

kool361

Nov 19, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV
Ok so does anyone have a good idea for carrying all the other things with you while MDing. Such as :Shovel,pinpointer, towel for putting dug up soil on, and garbage bag. I'm sure people have other things they carry. I have been trying to figure out a good way of carrying these things. Holding my pinpointer and shovel in one hand is not working for me. I would think that some sort of military issue belt or something would work. All suggestions welcome.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Go to a "big box" hardware store like a Lowe's or Home Depot.

Go to the tool section, and look at nail aprons and tool carriers.

I bought a web belt and leather nail apron and made some modifications to it.

On the nail apron:
Added an "S" hook. Use this with a plastic tarp hook on a cloth napkin. Dual purpose, can wipe your hands on it and also use it to put the dirt on when you dig a hole so you don't make a mess. Can pore the dirt from the rag back into the open hole.

Cut the bottom of the utility knife pocket out. Put in a short length of PVC pipe and used cable ties to hold it in place. I use this as a sheath / carrier for my pinpointer upright.

Cut the bottom out of a carpenter pencil pocket and insert my push probe here.

A metal hammer loop can be used to carry a small straight handle shovel like an entrenching tool if need.

On the web belt, added a cellphone holder, key ring metal clip for my car keys, and a small insulated water bottle holder.

Works for me!

Jeff

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bomber said:
check out the"tool shed" section
Bomber is the tool foreman :thumbsup:

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Many of our members use the tool belt from Lowe's, picutred below. I use the small White's pouch on my right side for good finds, and the large White's pouch on the left side from trash, soda and pinpointer if I carry it with me. (have a Sunray Probe on both machines, usually don't carry the handheld anymore)

There are rings on the side you can 'hook' our shovel through. Of course the second picture is the ultimate in tool belts, I suppose.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=263953-1492-1LL-695-1&lpage=none

Attachments

• 30019374961221md.jpg
    30019374961221md.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 650
  • F8108C1A6FDD73C9EE7990D0B672D9.jpg
    F8108C1A6FDD73C9EE7990D0B672D9.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 745

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Cargo pants and a small backpack......tried the belt thing and it just interfered with going through brush,etc...

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
I OWULD TRY USEING A FISHING VEST , MANY POCKETS, BIG AND SMALL,
DON T HURT YOUR WAIST OR BACK :thumbsup:

MLHUDSON

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what it would look like but to me the perfect belt would have the ability to hold several accessories and have suspenders sewn in to keep our pants up ::) This is what I'm using now, it's some sort of hunting pack that straps to your legs. Lots of room but gets heavy on the waist.

Attachments

• IMGP0034 (640x480).jpg
    IMGP0034 (640x480).jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 561

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
johnnycat said:
I don't know what it would look like but to me the perfect belt would have the ability to hold several accessories and have suspenders sewn in to keep our pants up ::) This is what I'm using now, it's some sort of hunting pack that straps to your legs. Lots of room but gets heavy on the waist.

Here ya go Johnnycat, just what you wanted!

Attachments

• 019374961305.jpg
    019374961305.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,186

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For relic hunting I wear a flight suit or motorpool coveralls, use a military web belt complete with pouches, carry a bayonet knife hooked to the belt and use a military issue WWII shovel --leave it in the open position...after I dig the relic, I can sling the shovel into a leather and hook device that I bought from home depot that is attached to the belt on my right hip. I think this tool think is for roofers to carry hammers in....but works well to slip the handle of the shovel through and the metal U shaped hook keep the flat part of the shovel in place. My hands are free except for the detector, when walking climbing hills etc...also I would recommend investing in military combat boots...great for preventing snake bites, keeping ankles from spraining etc..

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nc-joe said:
johnnycat said:

Where would a fella find such an animal?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leather pouches get heavy when you start filling them
try a heavy nylon

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
johnnycat said:
nc-joe said:
johnnycat said:

Where would a fella find such an animal?

That picture I posted came from the Lowes website. www.lowes.com then search "tool belt" and scan through the one's they have to offer.

Black Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
I went on line last year and searched military supplies. I found a vest with pockets that allows me room for all my stuff. I think I paid total of $29.00. Bought it from a military supplies guy inTenn. Hope this helps.
Black Jack:thumbsup:

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I use a work belt with a couple of hammer rings that I squeezed in a vice to hold my shovel and a small pick, on the other side I have a pouch for coins etc, and my pinpointer. Then I wear a fishing vest that hold my water and everything else.
I like to kind of spread it all out a little. Too much on the belt and I can't squeeze my fat butt between the trees....

Good Luck,
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread