A GUIDE TO VAULT TREASURE HUNTING (Condensed)

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I have a favor to ask of Sandy and others who have sites like what he describes in this thread.

I know of such a site that is located on public land. I was never willing to take the risk of being arrested for breaking any archeological laws so I've never dug at this site. I do study the old trails that go through the area so I have an interest in knowing when the site was created. As recent as this past spring I have asked the state archeologists to send somebody to look at the site with me and maybe do a survey. Whenever I get around to telling them it's a cache site, they loose interest real fast. I've even told them that whatever was cached there is long gone and all that's left is a big hole. They still won't even do a metal detector scan to search for metal artifacts that could date the site. For several years, I've let the rangers know about the place and they have even talked to the state archeologists but still with no luck.

Here's the favor that I would like. As far as I know, it isn't illegal to observe or photograph surface artifacts that are seen on public land. Have any of you folks, who have sites like those described in this thread, ever seen any artifacts that could date the site? Maybe some old bottles or pottery or some type of tool, anything that can be dated.

Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Mdog, I have found many things that sentinels have left very close to caches (above ground), things such as old cans even old tinfoil from lunches, My old partner found a Q-Ball partially buried at one treasure location, we even found a receipt that was dropped by the sentinels who were at our site with dogs checking where we had dug (they also left a rock turtle cairn at our entrance point) but anything that is over 150 years old is buried (this includes their tools).The tools are usually buried close to the surface (within a few feet) and in a easy to locate spot such as between two boulders, these can be found with a metal detector.

Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Mdog, I have found many things that sentinels have left very close to caches (above ground), things such as old cans even old tinfoil from lunches, My old partner found a Q-Ball partially buried at one treasure location, we even found a receipt that was dropped by the sentinels who were at our site with dogs checking where we had dug (they also left a rock turtle cairn at our entrance point) but anything that is over 150 years old is buried (this includes their tools).The tools are usually buried close to the surface (within a few feet) and in a easy to locate spot such as between two boulders, these can be found with a metal detector.

Thanks Sandy. I feel dumb asking this question, but of the trash that you have seen, could any of that been dated. Maybe a certain kind of pop bottle or maybe a date on the receipt. The trash was probably from the 20th century but could you tell if it was pre-1950 or at some time after?

Thanks again.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I did find a horseshoe at one location that was from the 1800s right next to an aura, I found tools at one spot where all that spiritual activity happened to me, and they were dated to the 1920s. Much of the stuff I have found is much newer such as the sentinels receipt I would have to dig it out but it was less than 10 years ago for sure.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I did find a horseshoe at one location that was from the 1800s right next to an aura, I found tools at one spot where all that spiritual activity happened to me, and they were dated to the 1920s. Much of the stuff I have found is much newer such as the sentinels receipt I would have to dig it out but it was less than 10 years ago for sure.

That's a good find and dates it as far back as the 1800s. There's so much modern trash here, from visitors, that I can't sort anything out. I figured trash at a remote area would probably be more accurate at dating the site. The 1920 date is interesting because I think that was the time period that the big hole was dug here. It was also about the time that the park was given to the public. Maybe some type of general movement about that time. Sdcfia has speculated about that date, I believe.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

Maybe that 1800 date was another time of burial or removal.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
These are not just trash many of these items are left by the sentinels on purpose in order to re verify when they come back to the caches, its the same with replanted trees cactus alignments etc.
I mean why do you think a Q-ball would be partially buried right next to a cache?

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I also have good reason to believe that changes were made at this place in the real late 1800s or real early 1900s. I've been able to find old photos of the area that shows one important sign in a late 1890s picture but other important signs were not seen at that date.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
These are not just trash many of these items are left by the sentinels on purpose in order to re verify when they come back to the caches, its the same with replanted trees cactus alignments etc.
I mean why do you think a Q-ball would be partially buried right next to a cache?

Because it looks like a full moon.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I know you don't put a lot of stock in carvings, but have you ever seen a carving showing a heart next to a circle or a circle within a heart?

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
The Sentinels continue to ad signs and rock markers across the country, they try to make things seem natural as possible such as rock alignments, nobody is going to think twice about a couple of rocks that look a little bit out of place.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Rebel KGC has had posts about the waxing, waning and full moon. I think he said full moon means big time treasure.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
The hearts I have in my guide are the types that are out here, the rocks have been shaped here instead of actually carved into, I have seen some very light carvings in rock here but they are so faded that they are nearly impossible to see, Even the Indian Petroglyphs here can be seen well until you get on the sunny side of the rock then they have faded away from the sun.

So the answer is no I haven't seen any carvings of that nature.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a favor to ask of Sandy and others who have sites like what he describes in this thread.

I know of such a site that is located on public land. I was never willing to take the risk of being arrested for breaking any archeological laws so I've never dug at this site. I do study the old trails that go through the area so I have an interest in knowing when the site was created. As recent as this past spring I have asked the state archeologists to send somebody to look at the site with me and maybe do a survey. Whenever I get around to telling them it's a cache site, they loose interest real fast. I've even told them that whatever was cached there is long gone and all that's left is a big hole. They still won't even do a metal detector scan to search for metal artifacts that could date the site. For several years, I've let the rangers know about the place and they have even talked to the state archeologists but still with no luck.

Here's the favor that I would like. As far as I know, it isn't illegal to observe or photograph surface artifacts that are seen on public land. Have any of you folks, who have sites like those described in this thread, ever seen any artifacts that could date the site? Maybe some old bottles or pottery or some type of tool, anything that can be dated.

Thanks for your help.

Mdog, the cache sites out my way that use the burial notches and A frame set ups are clean,no pottery,no glass, and so are the other cache set ups,they kept them clean, but sure did leave stone markers everywhere. I have often wondered about lack of potter,glass,metal. I think they where treasure hunters,raiding Ancient sites. Too many cut and arranged stones in all these states to be done by just the spanish. The timeline and people that supposed to have done it all just dosent work for me.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Mdog, the cache sites out my way that use the burial notches and A frame set ups are clean,no pottery,no glass, and so are the other cache set ups,they kept them clean, but sure did leave stone markers everywhere. I have often wondered about lack of potter,glass,metal. I think they where treasure hunters,raiding Ancient sites. Too many cut and arranged stones in all these states to be done by just the spanish. The timeline and people that supposed to have done it all just dosent work for me.

That's all the Spanish did raided the ancient sites and re smelted the metals they found, there was some mining but most of what they did was pure out and out thievery.

They started in South America and worked their way up to North America looting all the way.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

Thanks dog. When I was in Vietnam we cleaned our overnight campsites so nobody would know we were there. Maybe these guys did the same thing. Some of that stuff you show looks real ancient. That big rock snake was one of your best pictures.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
The hearts I have in my guide are the types that are out here, the rocks have been shaped here instead of actually carved into, I have seen some very light carvings in rock here but they are so faded that they are nearly impossible to see, Even the Indian Petroglyphs here can be seen well until you get on the sunny side of the rock then they have faded away from the sun.

So the answer is no I haven't seen any carvings of that nature.

I think the circle inside the heart might be another way to date a site because I think it's a simplified representation of the double headed eagle, a Masonic symbol. Just my opinion.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

I never thought about it last night, but was the horseshoe at the same place as the q ball? Could have just been a horse threw it's shoe, but I believe the horseshoe shape is another treasure sign.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
No they were at two separate cache locations, however we did find an Indian Arrowhead at the Horseshoe location, I showed a couple of markers to the spot with the horseshoe and arrowhead as well as the receipt the sentinels dropped in my guide #28. This location also had a grande deathtrap at it as well with the square door rock underneath it.(I never took a picture of it, I will have to go back and get one someday)

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks for your help.

dog, a lot of artifacts can be accurately dated to their origins, but that doesn't guarantee that they were left there at that time - it could have been later. Manufactured items can often be dated, but even the easy ones take some digging (no pun intended) into the records. Lots of commonly found trash, such as bottles, aren't trash anymore and a large collectors' database exists that identifies items and workable pieces of items to specific dates. Same goes with pottery - even shards. In your case at your Iowa site, it seems like the more accurately you can date artifacts, the better off you are vis-a-vis your work with Mr. S. and how the site may connect to him. Too bad you can't poke around in that hole a little.

In the case of the so-called "KGC sites", it's my opinion that the artifact's ages are much less important than the messages they may have been meant to convey. For example, the following items were found on the surface at a site that you've read about, dog. The wire bent into a nice "omega" is self-evident, of course. Here's a couple things you don't know. The cutting tool? On the butt edge was an embossed "337" - some sort of designation from the manufacturer, I guess, but as you know, "337" also turned out to be a very prominent mapping azimuth, repeated numerous times in an extensive and complex collection of mysterious items. Coincidence? I don't much believe in coincidences. The silver spoon had an obvious manufacturer's ID on the backside of the tang that quickly pegged the design's introduction to 1933. So what? As you know, dog, FDR's 1933 Gold Act dovetails seamlessly into my understanding of this particular site. Coincidence? Sure, maybe.

Artifacts metal.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread