A horrible story that will make your heart stop, because it is true

grouper

Greenie
May 25, 2006
Well, I just saw this topic, and I have a story to tell. It makes me sick everytime I think about it. Maybe this will help dispell the feeling. Anyway.... My husband's uncle had a safe deposit box full of paper currency. He had cashed his mother's checks for years since 1930 and put the cash in an envelope, then put the envelope in the safe deposit box. He did not trust banks at all, since he was in the depression when he was like 20. Of course, he got old, and my husbands sister was in charge of his estate. He died, and she took all of the paper money notes out of the safe deposit box. I knew that the Uncle had paper currency from long ago because I had asked him about it and he told me, but I had never seen the money or the dates on it. I do know, there were paper notes from the time when the banks printed their own money. Well.... I told her I would write her a check for all the money in the safe deposit box if I could just look at the money and pull out the old bills. Being Swedish, she said no, because the money needed to go into the bank right away. I begged this lady, I even had my husband tell her 'no' do not do that because the bills are worth more than face value. She told me to mind my own business and ran to the bank anyway with about $40,000.00 in bills. ...... I could have fainted. If I could scream, "What an A$$" . I couldn't even do that much. I was sick for weeks. To this day, I cannot even talk to this woman or her husband. What fools. I even had the coin dealer in town ready to help me sell the notes and sort them out. Could you imagine the bank tellers, especially if they knew anything about paper money? They had a hey day....Please tell me I dreamed the whole thing. !!

dakotama95

Feb 26, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, White's DFX
Could you find out what bank she went to and try to rescue the paper notes? What a terrible feeling to have to deal with. I hope you can find some of it and purchase it from the bank, it is worth a shot.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grouper said:
Well.... I told her I would write her a check for all the money in the safe deposit box if I could just look at the money and pull out the old bills.
$40,000.00 in bills. ......
I even had the coin dealer in town ready to help me sell the notes and sort them out. Could you imagine the bank tellers, especially if they knew anything about paper money? They had a hey day....Please tell me I dreamed the whole thing. !!
im confused :icon_scratch:
so you were going to write her a check,so you could keep the money and sell it for a profit :icon_scratch: ???

OP
OP
G

grouper

Greenie
May 25, 2006
No, I wasn't going to keep the money and sell it for a profit for me, but her and my husband. The check was so she would know how much money exactly, as she hadn't counted it all yet. Her and my husband inherited all their Uncles' cash. I was going to split the extra between them and yes, I would have profited in the long run. But, alas, She wouldn't listen to reason. This was about three years ago. I found out she took it to the bank anyway about three weeks after she went there with all the notes and to go there I'm sure they were in the back room drewling over it. Yeah, I guess it was a nightmare. Oh well, off to use my detector tomorrow.

dex378

Dec 1, 2007
Foxboro, Massachussetts
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
grouper said:
Well, I just saw this topic, and I have a story to tell. It makes me sick everytime I think about it. Maybe this will help dispell the feeling. Anyway.... My husband's uncle had a safe deposit box full of paper currency. He had cashed his mother's checks for years since 1930 and put the cash in an envelope, then put the envelope in the safe deposit box. He did not trust banks at all, since he was in the depression when he was like 20. Of course, he got old, and my husbands sister was in charge of his estate. He died, and she took all of the paper money notes out of the safe deposit box. I knew that the Uncle had paper currency from long ago because I had asked him about it and he told me, but I had never seen the money or the dates on it. I do know, there were paper notes from the time when the banks printed their own money. Well.... I told her I would write her a check for all the money in the safe deposit box if I could just look at the money and pull out the old bills. Being Swedish, she said no, because the money needed to go into the bank right away. I begged this lady, I even had my husband tell her 'no' do not do that because the bills are worth more than face value. She told me to mind my own business and ran to the bank anyway with about $40,000.00 in bills. ...... I could have fainted. If I could scream, "What an A$$" . I couldn't even do that much. I was sick for weeks. To this day, I cannot even talk to this woman or her husband. What fools. I even had the coin dealer in town ready to help me sell the notes and sort them out. Could you imagine the bank tellers, especially if they knew anything about paper money? They had a hey day....Please tell me I dreamed the whole thing. !!
I'm pretty sure you dreamt the whole thing up.
Didn't trust banks , but stored his money in a bank?

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While CRH, some tellers tell me occationally folks come in with what is obviously stolen coin collections; some have told me their good nature gets a hold of them and they ask the person if they relize what they're depositing - others just set it "aside" for later. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread