A hunt after the snow and rain…I think I have a problem!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

After the snow and rain ended I decided to go to the “hunted out” park for a brief woods hunt. So, on with the boots and rain gear, just in case and off to the park. It was very wet due to the rain and snow, but, the woods were relatively snow free; plus easy digging. I worked an area no bigger than 20’ x 20’ during the hunt with the Tesoro Tejon and found a toasty 1938 D Buffalo nickel and some modern trash.

I’m just glad to get out even for a short time in mid-December.

Thank you for looking,

GL & HH

Doc

1938D Buff.jpg 1938D buff coin.jpg

Upvote 19

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same thing, 2 Civil War bottles, 1 busted all up, the other ok, 2 Sharps bullets, broken clay pipe, hand forged nails, underwear button, camp lead.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Hello Professor,
So, what was the problem? :D You have found some very nice finds this year. I appreciate your dedication, especially since the bad weather is rolling in.
Thanks for another interesting post, and as always
GL & HH,
Phil

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Doc! I totally hear ya- if it weren't for work/family/weather/physical issues I'd hunt every day, so I respect your "problem"!!

-- Jeff --

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! We're done here for the season!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you, Doc!! Getting out in this weather is one thing; finding a keeper just makes it all the more rewarding!! Congratulations!!
PS: I'm headed out in about 30 minutes........after our rain lightens up a bit. :laughing7:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats! I'm hoping to get out New Year's Eve weekend if we get a weather break before then. I hate to see the season end. We got about 9" of snow here, just too deep to MD as the snow build-up on the coil turns into a Frosty the snowman size ball and weighs a ton! Great find on the Buff!
HH
dts

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see you pulled that keeper Doc. :hello2: The ground is frozen everywhere in my area. I drove from site to site and ended up going to sports fields and schools looking for surface or shallow targets. I dug about $2 in clad. I think my season is over. :crybaby2:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You snatched that right out from winter's cold grip!
Congrats!
Still has some fair detail too.

I'm considering take'n out the batteries for the season....but i haven't talked myself into it yet.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Doc you fit in with the rest of us because we all have the same problem...probably some winter bug. I've taken the batteries out and cleaned up my detector three times now. Nice save on the Buffalo Nickle.

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Msbeepbeep,

I cannot take the batteries out yet...never give up and pray for a few days in the 40's.

GL & HH

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread