monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went for a little walk down the creek in between my a.m. deer hunt and the p.m. deer hunt. It was worth it. asst. points 001.JPG asst. points 002.JPG asst. points 003.JPG asst. points 004.JPG I found 2 performs and the point. The point is ok but I like the perform in the 2nd photo because it shows it was heat treated by the gloss on it. Look at the other perform and you can tell how dull it is and how the other has a gloss to it, they are both made of chert and in this area that is a sure sign of heat treating.

Upvote 0

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some nice finds! Quick off topic question and I'll quit hijacking your thread. In NC all of our creeks and rivers are on private land or state park land. Someone somewhere owns every speck of land here so there is no way to follow a creek or river without trespassing all along it. I read a lot about people hunting on water sources here and just wondered if property rights are different in other states?

Okay. I'll stop my hijacking now.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is why you get permission, at least I do.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some nice finds! Quick off topic question and I'll quit hijacking your thread. In NC all of our creeks and rivers are on private land or state park land. Someone somewhere owns every speck of land here so there is no way to follow a creek or river without trespassing all along it. I read a lot about people hunting on water sources here and just wondered if property rights are different in other states?

Okay. I'll stop my hijacking now.

Man you aren't hi-jacking anything, from what I know of laws on waterways is if it can be accessed by boat from a river channel you can go on it, but if you get out of the boat you are trespassing . Most property lines go to the middle of the stream are river, even state lines, but with rivers and streams always changing that can become hairy . There are areas in Ms. that without crossing the river(the river is the state line by maps) you can drive into La. on the Ms. side of the river and the game wardens love that. Ms. residents can fish in La. as long as they are inside the levee on the river side. In Ms. all land is posted and you have to have written permission on your person to be there.

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have the same thing here regarding property lines going to the middle of the river. I haven't heard about being able to access by boat making a difference. I will check on what the laws are here on that.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have the same thing here regarding property lines going to the middle of the river. I haven't heard about being able to access by boat making a difference. I will check on what the laws are here on that.

One thing I should have said it has to be a motorized boat.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
NC, I know what you mean. Personally, I've never been ran off of anyone's property. I've never ran anyone off of mine either. The law can't do anything to you unless the property owner has no trespassing signs posted every 100 foot. Few people post land that close and all they can do is run you away. Never act like you are sneaking. Park in plain view and walk bold, like you may own the property. If you are approached, tell them the truth, "I'm artifact hunting". This sounds like bad advice and it is sort of. However, this tactic has gained permission to hunt land for me. This land was made for all of us. My granddaddy instilled this in me. Sorry thieves have caused us to be nervous when we are doing as honest of a thing possible.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the state of Ms. all lands are posted and do not have to have sign's up anywhere, but you are right about don't act like you are doing wrong. I have cut across some land before to save me some walking distance, and run into the land owner(if I see someone I always walk to them), at first they act a little mad ,but when I have shown them stuff I have found, every time I get told well just go down here on my place I use to find arrowheads there when I was a kid. Most people don't care about arrowheads enough to wont to call the law on you, but some do.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
In the state of Ms. all lands are posted and do not have to have sign's up anywhere, but you are right about don't act like you are doing wrong. I have cut across some land before to save me some walking distance, and run into the land owner(if I see someone I always walk to them), at first they act a little mad ,but when I have shown them stuff I have found, every time I get told well just go down here on my place I use to find arrowheads there when I was a kid. Most people don't care about arrowheads enough to wont to call the law on you, but some do.
i always walk toward anyone that I may encounter as well. While walking toward the person I always make sure both hands are in plain view also. People are scared these days. One man should not have to be scared of the other.

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I do too. I've been approached a couple of times by the landowner and in both cases they told me okay and good luck. On some properties its not clear who actually owns the land. I have looked at some property records and its owned by some corporation name out of state. A lot of farm fields around here are rented out and the true owner lives who knows where.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man rack those are nice finds put the bow down and look for some rocks haha;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread