A Lapidary Bannerstone Plus Bonus Pareidolia.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iā€™ve made several banner stones but never one from slate. Iā€™ve never had a good piece of slate to work with. I recently found this glacial slate in a plowed field near my house.
IMG_3920.jpeg

I ground a small ā€œwindowā€ with a diamond file and it looked promising.
IMG_3911.jpeg

To make this banner Iā€™ll be using a diamond grinding wheel mounted on an angle grinder, a dremel with a diamond wheel, a small sharpening stone and a piece of 320 sandpaper. To drill the hole Iā€™ll use a brass core drill with silicone carbide abrasive powder.
IMG_3969.jpeg
IMG_4856.jpeg
IMG_4858.jpeg
IMG_4857.jpeg

Iā€™ll need a pic of an old original banner to copy. I chose this one. Itā€™s a pretty common shape. Nothing radical.
IMG_3941.jpeg

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put the slate piece on the grinder and reduced it to preform shape. The trick is keeping the black line layers exactly parallel to the plane of the wings. That way the pattern in the slate is centered on the finished piece.
IMG_3931.jpeg
IMG_3932.jpeg

IMG_3933.jpeg

As you reduce the piece, the pattern changes as you grind through the layers. You canā€™t predict what it will look like when itā€™s finally thinned.
IMG_3937.jpeg
IMG_3938.jpeg

Comparing it to my model, the top edge needs to be flatter and the point on the bottom reduced.
IMG_3966.jpeg

This is much better.
IMG_3970.jpeg
IMG_3971.jpeg

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Time to drill. When drilling stone, a ā€œholeā€ can be any depth. Only a ā€œperforationā€ goes all the way through. I first make a dimple on the bottom that sits on a nub of steel protruding through the piece of wood on my drilling platform. This keeps the hole centered. Water plus abrasive and away you go!
IMG_4127.jpeg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4129.jpeg
IMG_4267.jpeg
IMG_4268.jpeg
IMG_4296.jpeg

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iā€™ve switched to the dremel for finer work and took it down as far as I could with that. If you soak the preform in water and let it dry, any cracks will show. This one has 2 cracks. One would prove fatal if this banner was ever mounted on an atl.
IMG_4578.jpeg
IMG_4577.jpeg

Now for final polishing with the sharpening stone, then 320 paper to remove scratches from the gritty sharpening stone.
IMG_4585.jpeg

This is the finished banner. A light coat of olive oil brings out the colors.
IMG_4637.jpeg
IMG_4642.jpeg

And now, how about a little pareidolia? Can you see the Indian princess sitting on the ledge?šŸ˜Ž
IMG_4638.jpeg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's fascinating to think of how the native peoples would bore such a perfect hole in rock. Theres been a lot of thinking on how the Egyptians would of done it, but did the Native American banner stone makers do it in a similar way to the Egyptians I wonder.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's fascinating to think of how the native peoples would bore such a perfect hole in rock.
To drill those quartz banners, the Indians almost certainly would have had to use emery. Emery contains corundum which is 8 on the mohs scale. Emery should be available in the glacial till. There are big deposits in Canada and the glacier likely brought some down. Iā€™m trying to identify it in the till and experiment with it.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To drill those quartz banners, the Indians almost certainly would have had to use emery. Emery contains corundum which is 8 on the mohs scale. Emery should be available in the glacial till. There are big deposits in Canada and the glacier likely brought some down. Iā€™m trying to identify it in the till and experiment with it.
I wondered if they just didn't wash down all the sands like one would pan gold. Just about every where you can wash down and gather fine heavy garnet, quartz sands and magnetite in any alluvium deposits in this country. I believe I have a softer slate type of stone with a green banding. I can't remember where I found it, but I remember it looked interesting enough to pickup and bring home. I'm gonna clean out the flower garden area in front of my house, by request of my better half here soon. It's full of rocks I've gathered from mines I visited and roadsides I've stopped along when I was traveling for work.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was sooo... tempted to be a wise-ass and say, "Some people have nothing... better... to do," but I'm blown away by your lapidary skill & accomplishment. Well done.

Maybe the question is, "Why?" but I've done--and still do--a lot of things just to see if I can. šŸ˜Ž

IDK why, but I thought these things (bannerstones) were bigger. :dontknow:

Emery contains corundum which is 8 on the mohs scale.
Must be a typo; corundum is 9, topaz is 8. šŸ˜‰

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was sooo... tempted to be a wise-ass and say, "Some people have nothing... better... to do," but I'm blown away by your lapidary skill & accomplishment. Well done.

Maybe the question is, "Why?" but I've done--and still do--a lot of things just to see if I can. šŸ˜Ž

IDK why, but I thought these things (bannerstones) were bigger. :dontknow:

Must be a typo; corundum is 9, topaz is 8. šŸ˜‰
I thought corundum was 8. Thanks for the correction. Iā€™m into experimental archaeology and in particular glacial till rocks. I started experimenting with all the rocks the Indians used from the glacial till 35 yrs ago. I make replica Indian artifacts with both primitive and modern means. I flintknapped for 22 yrs before I quit due to repetitive motion injuries. For me, a rock isnā€™t very interesting unless something is made from it.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wondered if they just didn't wash down all the sands like one would pan gold. Just about every where you can wash down and gather fine heavy garnet, quartz sands and magnetite in any alluvium deposits in this country.
Now youā€™ve given me another place to look for the abrasives the Indians used. I watched them searching for diamonds in AR on YouTube. They got a screen full of gravel, swished it back and forth in water for a minute, then flipped it onto a tarp. The quartz and heavier stuff was definitely concentrated in the center. The unknown abrasives the Indians used is out there, I just have to find it. Thanks for the tip! I know youā€™re a real rock guy!

DirtyHandsCleanPoints

Mar 30, 2024
Now youā€™ve given me another place to look for the abrasives the Indians used. I watched them searching for diamonds in AR on YouTube. They got a screen full of gravel, swished it back and forth in water for a minute, then flipped it onto a tarp. The quartz and heavier stuff was definitely concentrated in the center. The unknown abrasives the Indians used is out there, I just have to find it. Thanks for the tip! I know youā€™re a real rock guy!
I live about an hour out from the crater of diamond park in AR Iā€™ve been wanting to get out there and see what kind of materials I can pull out. They actually pull small diamonds out fairly often.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very impressive.
the steps you describe help in visualizing the process.
the core is very interesting to me.

I have a few. Four quartzite, two unknown metamorphic, one slate, one granite, and one diorite. Those cores the Indians made are laying out there in the dirt somewhere. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen one an artifact hunter has found. It would be a rare find indeed.
IMG_4859.jpeg

DirtyHandsCleanPoints

Mar 30, 2024
T
I have a few. Four quartzite, two unknown metamorphic, one slate, one granite, and one diorite. Those cores the Indians made are laying out there in the dirt somewhere. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen one an artifact hunter has found. It would be a rare find indeed. View attachment 2145986 what a day that would be I never even thought about that until now just added another find to my bucket list lol

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So thatā€™s how they use to make those! šŸ˜† Fine work there, I like the material.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Here is a bannerstone core, I have posted this in the past. I obtained this core from my friend Ben Thompson in 2006.
the measurements are 1 1/4 inches in length, approximately 1/2 inch wide on the widest part, but this is not truly round, the opposite end is approximately 1/4 inch wide, again not truly round.
1399020-fac3905f7e96b1f8f3bf5360db3c20b2.jpg
1399021-0463c5b9eb6fe5be8f511fae6cb51e70.jpg

Terry Crafton at the Collinsville relic show had a number of authentic bannerstone cores. They are extremely rare in my opinion.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the measurements are 1 1/4 inches in length, approximately 1/2 inch wide on the widest part,
From the length, Iā€™d say that came from a quartz butterfly. My shortest one is from the same and about the same length. I think the taper on yours came from movement of the tube drill as they cut. Like maybe the banner was supported during drilling but the tube was not. No doubt on the rarity. Especially one made from quartz. Very nice piece.šŸ‘šŸ»

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread