a life time collection

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
I saw an ad for an auction that had listed a lifetime collection of Indian artifacts. I attended that auction today and was glad I did. The owner had a great collection of points, axes, celts, pestals, beads, and some very hard to come by pieces. I saw 3 spear points that he had found go for $1500 dollars. They were museum quality pieces. I was lucky enough to get a few of his fine pieces for myself, some of which I may never have had the opportunity to own let alone find. 3 of these pieces, the dovetail, turkey tail fulton and the graham cave piece were all found in Warren Co. Illinois. The rest was found here in Kentucky. Thought I would share them with you. Even though I bought them I still think they are pretty awesome.

DSC03219.JPG DSC03220.JPG DSC03221.JPG
DSC03222.JPG turkey tail fulton DSC03223.JPG
DSC03224.JPG DSC03225.JPG
DSC03227.JPG dovetail DSC03226.JPG
DSC03228.JPG graham cave DSC03229.JPG
DSC03231.JPG is this a bannerstone?
DSC03232.JPG
DSC03233.JPG DSC03235.JPG

Attachments

• DSC03234.JPG
    DSC03234.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Very Nice! Looks like you got some really nice artifacts. :icon_thumright:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntress104, not trying to burst your bubble here but I would send the Turkeytail and the Pendant off to have authenticated or at least take them to a show and have them looked at. The TT looks like it has that fake black patina on it and I don't like the etchings on the Pendant. They did incise a lot of Slate, but normally only broken of damaged pieces. I hope for your sake I am wrong, but I don't like either piece. JMO.

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah take the pendant back

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you acquired several nice artifacts,thanks for showing them.! The "keyhole pendants" made of banded slate usually come from Ohio and often have preliminary grind marks showing on the surface that were not entirely ground/ polished away,that's normal. Yours however, has markings that appear to be "scenic"which is strange although not undocumented. Very unusual, but the unusual is always suspect just because the unusual artifact that doesn't fit the "norm" will always be critiqued more strenuously critiqued, however many unique artifacts have been found that supersede the "norm". For instance, tally marks were considered strange until several examples were discovered
on keyhole slate pendants. Whatever the case may be,l enjoyed the pics, HH!

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You really need to approach all lithic artifacts with severe skepticism.
Stone points and sports autographs are neck in neck for the most faked 'collectibles' out there.
When you start getting into perfectly- almost artistically- apportioned points that look like they were 'made yesterday', 99% of the time, its because they were. You can go on ebay right now and order up replicas of stone points with ease...

3 Stone Spearheads 03B5N Clovis Arrowhead Replica Primitive Stone Tool | eBay

As far as telling them from the real thing? It can be really hard, it can involve microscopy, very carefully assessing patination, wear, porosity deposits etc and even trickier yet is that they've been faked for a very long time. Knapping was a very popular hobby for a while there.

I guess the point I'm making here is that the market is so flooded with complete fakes that its had an influence on peoples expectations, where authentic pieces are usually written off as 'poor condition' and/or 'worn' while blatant fakes get all the attention. Be skeptical, submit for 'authentication' that involves something more than an 'opinion'.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice pieces!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread