A little advice needed!

fjudd94

Sep 14, 2006
DUBOIS, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was mding today and found a jelly jar intact under some roots. I though I was rich the jar had something wrapped up in silk and some rosary beads. I thought maybe paper dollars. However when I opened it I almost lost my lunch. Whatever is in there its dead and it brought tears to my eyes. Here is where I need some help. What would you do? Do you call a sheriff and find out you found little Suzy's definitely dead pet mouse. or don't and it is something worse? Help please. I will however be getting pics tomorrow during daylight. The jar is a bigger jelly jar. It was buried about 10 inches under some tree roots.

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
It appears no one wants to touch this one (pun intended) ......maybe tomorrow after you post the pics?? Very strange indeed....hope it is nothing more than a goldfish or pet gerbil, etc. My daughter mentioned one time as we were detecting...what if we dug a body !!! Yeeeiiikes !!! Seems strange a child would have the thought of putting a rosary in the jar tho?? Unless suggested by an adult. Will look forward to what it is you have tho....

OP
OP
fjudd94

fjudd94

Sep 14, 2006
DUBOIS, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I thought I was using invisible ink. ;D

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it is a fetus. You should post a picture and let's have a look. Maybe it is just a dead kitten or something. No need to call on Johnny Law yet, is there? GL

Laater...

T

TreasureTales

Hmmm, let's see the pix. You could have found something sinister or something benign. We won't know without pix!!!

OP
OP
fjudd94

fjudd94

Sep 14, 2006
DUBOIS, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the pics. ???

Attachments

• IM000775.JPG
    IM000775.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 388
OP
OP
fjudd94

fjudd94

Sep 14, 2006
DUBOIS, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is another

Attachments

• this.jpg
    this.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 429

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put clothespin on nose,open up,dump out,identify if animal or human.If human then call law.Can't get in trouble for that.Looks nasty!

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Yikes! Open it with a ten foot pole, examine with binoculars. ??? Hard to say what's in there besides the beads.

FWIW, when I was a kid I dropped a baby rabbit, it smacked it's head and died. My friend and I buried it under an apple tree, in a jar.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bury it. Dig it up later to ID any bones. Wonder why it wasnt buried in the first place? Strange. Maybe kids.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Hey ...thats just nasty! Silk, beads and something rotten and bloody...Id give it to the authorities...Too wierd....Joe

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
is it just me or does the first pick appear to show a umbilical chord? i definitely would not open that jar. let the police handle the ID work you can't get introuble for being concerned. definitely keep us posted.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there is a fetus inside the jar, have you considered that this might be from a miscarriage?

My wife had a miscarriage a few years ago and the fetus was removed in the hospital. But a friend of mine told me, when she had a miscarriage in the late 70's, the doctor just gave her some drugs to cause the body to expell the dead fetus, then sent her home. She said it was a VERY traumatic experience to go through at home - by herself! We didn't discuss how she disposed of the fetus.

I think you can see where I'm going with this. I suggest you put it back and let it go.

DCMatt

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
The rosary beads are enough for me, doesn't matter what it is ...I'd replace it and let it be...

neil :'(

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very morbid - I would call the local police station and let them deal with the jar. I would definitely NOT open it up, you might get a whiff of something that will linger in your mind for the rest of your life.

Yuck

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I would open it up and see what it is. You've already cracked the lid and know it's something decaying. Wrapped in fine cloth with the rosary beads, I'm betting it's a fetus. It doesn't look large, like anything full term. If someone miscarried, they're allowed to dispose of it by burying it on private property if it's not beyond so many weeks (20-24???). After that time period, even if it's stillborn, it must be buried in a cemetery.

Just open it up (in a good stiff wind) and then you can satisfy ALL of us. Then you can rebury it.

I know... I'm gory. My husband tells me that all the time because I watch the surgeries on tv. He leaves the room. :D But I'm curious!!

Noodle

Kale1

Nov 2, 2006
Try taking it to a medical clinic or a abortion clinic and see what they say,or take a good photo of it if you don't won't to carry the thing around.Who knows they might be able to help and if the worst comes ,then go to the police.Just a idea, Good Luck..

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I'd be careful with it. If it gets warmed some way, by heat or sunlight, with any gases inside it might pop.

T

TreasureTales

Thanks for the pix. Actually, I was hoping for some pix of the things inside of the jar and not the jar itself, but I can see why you wouldn't want to open it again. The jar's lid doesn't appear to be rusted. So maybe it hadn't been buried long?

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on anything, so this is purely my opinion and personal suggestion, nothing more.

Was the jar dug up on private land with permission from the property owner? If yes, you had permission to dig on private land, then FIRST I would ask the landowner if he/she knew anything about the item inside the jar. If the person knows nothing about it, I would ask what they suggest and respect their opinion. Afterall, it was on their land. If, however, the private property owner did not give permssion to hunt on his/her land, I'd rebury the thing where I found it and forget the whole incident. No use getting into trouble digging without permission, which is what might happen if you did anything other than return the jar to the site.

Did you found it on public land which was OK to detect on? If this is the scenario under which you found the jar, I'd definitely report the find to local authorities. Here's why, no one should be burying any organic material on public property. There might be some disease/fungus/bugs that could be in the material. Finding syringes in public places is bad, but finding a fetus or a dead gerbil or any other potentially diseased dead thing is absolutely outrageous and needs to be reported so that the perpetrator can be apprehended. There are proper ways to deal with dead animals or fetuses, burying them illegally on public land is not acceptable. As long as you did nothing wrong in digging it up, you should have no problem reporting your find to the law enforcement agency with jurisdiction over the area in which the jar was found. You would be performing a public service if you reported it to the authorities so that they could properly dispose of the material in the jar. Whatever you do, don't touch the material in the jar and don't pour it out of the jar. It could be harmless or it could be opening Pandora's Box. Good luck, and please keep us informed as to the disposition of the jar.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy jelly :o
rebury it place a pile of rocks over it
leave it be no need for the cops it was a child leave it be
TreasureTales said:
Here's why, no one should be burying any organic material on public property. There might be some disease/fungus/bugs that could be in the material. Finding syringes in public places is bad, but finding a fetus or a dead gerbil or any other potentially diseased dead thing is absolutely outrageous and needs to be reported so that the perpetrator can be apprehended.
if its dead then dont play with it, nothing will happen right?YES.........
thats what happpens when things die they grow fungus have bugs crawl on/in/threw them and harbor disease.thats the cycle of life and death(kind of interesting really)
so if a racoon dies in the woods and i fing it should i can the police?NO.........
sorry TT way out on a limb on that one been living in california to long i think.....
its not medical waste its a dead mass rebury it and leave it blah blah

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread