A Little advise on Metal Detector choices.

jessejames303

Feb 12, 2008
I have a Whites TM808 Hord hunter
( like 2 box kind) that works extremely well for deep BIG targets, but I feel I am missing out on those small caches, coins, etc. that is missed by this detector.

I would like to know what is a good detector that would cover what I cannot pickup with my whites, that is a good brand, reasonable priced, and has enough controls to make searching easier. It would be nice if there was a detector that did both small and BIG deep targets.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• tm808.gif
    tm808.gif
    36.6 KB · Views: 515
Upvote 0

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If white's is the brand you like how about a DFX or an MXT. From what I understand they both have good depth and can find the small stuff

good luck and HH

PTP

OP
OP
J

jessejames303

Feb 12, 2008
PS: I am open to any brand Newer or Older, .....seen so much info and reviews it gets real confusing!
Seen Nautilus, Tesoro, something simple to use and effective for more than a couple of inches in the ground. Don' t have to be fancy w/fancy controls, j.......just something that works....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Get any # of regular coin machines, as long as they have the option for a coil (either manufacturer or after-market) that is humongous. You know, like an 18" or larger coil option. There is a "point of diminishing returns", where, eventually the larger coils cease to get coin sized objects any deeper (or even pick them up at all), but still get larger objects deeper. With a coin machine, you can merely switch back and forth between coil sizes, depending on what your hunting. But with that said, it's hard to beat a 2-box machine for a unit that, by nature, ignores anything smaller than a soda can. So maybe you should consider just having both machines, one for coin/relic hunting, and the other for cache/large object hunting.

OP
OP
J

jessejames303

Feb 12, 2008
Ok, that is good advise .....but I would like to know if buying an older unit to save $$ would be better than buying a New Lower cost detector.....

Like I see this one detector for sale and 1. Is it a good detector to do what I want or just forget the "golden oldies" and pick a new machine instead???

see pics of one such animal.....

Attachments

• cb77_12.jpg
    cb77_12.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 444
  • bc64_12.jpg
    bc64_12.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 429

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
JJ,
IMO stay away from the older detectors and go with a modern unit. Look around and find a good deal on a used one so you will have a modern state of the art detector at a reasonable price.
The type of detector you posted a photo of is not very easy to swing all day long without fatigue. You want a detector that is comfortable. Many modern detectors have an adjustable arm cup.
A new detector is just like a new car. As soon as you drive it off the showroom floor it becomes a used unit. If you ever want or need to get your money back out of your unit you will not suffer as bad or not suffer at all if you get a good deal on your used unit. Just make sure that whoever you are dealing with is honest.
The next most important thing for your type of hunting would be a good selection of coils. It is also a good idea to have a lower rod assembly for each coil to save time and effort when you need to switch out coils.
Look for a mfg that has a good service department. Also check to see if the unit you are interested in has a good selection of coils available.
If a new unit is affordable then go to a local dealer and try out various units and if he has what you need then buy from the local dealer. You will not only have a warranty but you will have dealer support in case you have questions, need help or want more accessories later. Local dealers need to stay competitive with their pricing and often throw in a few extra goodies with the deal. If you build a relationship with your dealer he will give you good deals as an incentive to gain more of your business.
Not all dealers are listed in the phone book. Go to the mfg website and search for dealers in your area, then call around to see what they have to offer. Doing business with a local dealer will help keep them alive and they will be there to help out when you need it... Good luck... Highwater

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highwater offered excellent advice. The newer detectors are much more stable than the older ones and many have many extra coils to use with them.

You never really know what you are getting with a used detector. But with the major brands if something is wrong you can get it fixed if it isn't working right. This is where a local dealer can shine as they'll test out the new detector for you to make sure it works as advertised. They will also show you how to set it up for hunting.
Tesoro seems to have the lightest weight machines that don't waste batteries like crazy. They have many different sized coils and an excellent service dept if you ever need it for life.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jessejames303 said:
Ok, that is good advise .....but I would like to know if buying an older unit to save $$ would be better than buying a New Lower cost detector.....

Only if you get 9v batteries by the case for free.

OP
OP
J

jessejames303

Feb 12, 2008
Ok, What about this choice.
1. Sell my WHites TM808
2. Buy a NEW Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus Metal Detector - Powered by a NEW 7 x 10" Searchcoil and the Treasure Hound Depth Multiplier
NEW price about $640.00

Will this give me the best of both worlds with one detector
OR should I just keep looking at a separate Detector and Keep my whites TM808?

Attachments

• is01.jpg
    is01.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 269
  • is02.jpg
    is02.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 270

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread