A little confused

robert2b

Oct 28, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found a mineralized quartz vein that is about 4 to 6 feet wide and runs at surface level for at least 500 to 600 feet. Very pretty ore in a known gold producing area. I grabbed a few samples from about the middle of the vein and brought them home. After putting them through the jaw crusher I took a random grab from the bucket and put it through the rock crusher. Probably about 1/2oz to 1oz sample. I panned it out and found a good amount of small gold in the sample so I decided to try another random grab from the bucket. Nothing. Not one piece of gold. I tried another and nothing again. I am not sure what to make of it so tomorrow I am going back out and get several buckets of material from up and down the vein. I know there is gold there now so I just need to figure out where the heck it is coming from.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A vein of Quartz will have places of Gold/non Gold. You must sample the vein as a whole to get a real picture of its worth. 10 five gallon buckets of crushed and panned rock will give you a true idea of the veins worth. Get a big picture, then decide if it's worth claiming and mining.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Get some sample bags, and mark where each sample came from. This cuts down your guess work and you can diagram your pay.

OP
OP
R

robert2b

Oct 28, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
not in the bumblebee area i hope... that area is almost all registered claims.

Actually I am on a registered claim just off of Bloody Basin road, but don't worry, it's my claim. Went back out today and took samples, but won't have results until this weekend because I have to go to work the next couple of days. Work tends to interfere with my prospecting way too much.

snakejim

Dec 18, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer, White's GM3, GMT, GM24K, White's Pulse scan TDI, Sierra Pulse Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
robert2b

There may have been gold in your crusher, left over from another batch you ran. Might not be anything in the new stuff?

Last edited:

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
robert2b

There may have been gold in your crusher, left over from another batch you ran. Might not be anything in the new stuff?

I have done that same thing before . And I was no able to recall where I got the last rock I crushed .

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have done that same thing before . And I was no able to recall where I got the last rock I crushed .

Ive crushed and panned rocks, finding Gold in them, and not being able to remember where I found them. Haha it sucks bad.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I go out jeeping and seem to always return with a bucket of rocks and they seem to stay in the garage for maybe a year , then one day I fire up the rock crusher and crush them . Not always but some times I wish I never crush them , because like I said I forgot where I got them .
When I go out on a sampling trip I have sample bags that have tags on them and I know where I have been and use GPS to mark and return .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread