luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m sure any of you that have tried to get an understanding of masking already know this, but thought it might be an eye opener to some. As winter hasn’t quite finished here, I’ve been experimenting with my detectors indoors a bit. I put a silver dime and a thin, iron, back packing style, tent peg on a box side by side (didn’t have an iron nail handy). The box was to raise them above the floor so no flooring nails would have an affect.

Then I passed the coil of the detector over them with no disc. Of course I had a signal. Then I turned the Disc up to eliminate iron and passed the coil over again, left to right or east – west if you prefer, the tent peg’s long dimension up and down or north – south in relation to the coil. I got no signal or just a faint snap or crackle as we’d expect from disced trash. Then I passed the coil over the targets the other way, north – south and bingo a solid signal. I repeated this with several detectors and coil combinations with the same results.

Then I tried the same dime inside the ring on a pull tab and then right beside it. Inside the tab with tabs disced out, I didn’t get a signal. Beside the tab I got a mixed crackle, slight beep a bit stronger when the coil was swung to cross over the dime first. This turned out to be a pretty good example of why we should dig signals that aren’t strong in both directions and any that just don’t seem quite right. Of course, we could hunt mostly in all metal then hit the discrimination, but only digging and seeing will truly confirm whether the target was a goodie or junk, in the end.
HH
Bill

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread