22.3 KB · Views: 270
  • AHS Chinese (side 2).jpg
    AHS Chinese (side 2).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 274

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
http://www.sportstune.com/chinese/coins/tungchih/1cash.html

Dynasty: Ch'ing (1644 - 1911 a.d.)
Emperor: Mu Tsung (1862-1875 a.d.)
Reign Title: T'ung Chih (1862-1875 a.d.)

Also see T'ung Chih T'ung Pao Charms

Tung
Chih
Chung
Pao

Closest match I could find I don't read or speak chineese but this looks like it is what you have it was made circa civil war - post civil war between the states of america. Probably your oldest coin found to date.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cdltpx said:
http://www.sportstune.com/chinese/coins/tungchih/1cash.html

Dynasty: Ch'ing (1644 - 1911 a.d.)
Emperor: Mu Tsung (1862-1875 a.d.)
Reign Title: T'ung Chih (1862-1875 a.d.)

Also see T'ung Chih T'ung Pao Charms

Tung
Chih
Chung
Pao

Closest match I could find I don't read or speak chineese but this looks like it is what you have it was made circa civil war - post civil war between the states of america. Probably your oldest coin found to date.
Thank you for your help. I'm not sure if it's my oldest coin or not, as I do have a 1853 half dime that I found a couple of years ago.

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Problem is, 90% of those in the wild are fakes made for tourists. I don't know how to find out if they are real or not.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
aaron7 said:
Problem is, 90% of those in the wild are fakes made for tourists. I don't know how to find out if they are real or not.

I posted this in the "help" section, and it was identified as being fake. The give away on the piece were the small bumps on the face of the coin. I didn't think that it was real, as it was in just too good of shape to have been real. But, you can always hope. Another thing that was against it was, the fact that we don't have and have never had a large Chinese population in this part of the country.
Thanks for your input.

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
nebstater said:
aaron7 said:

I posted this in the "help" section, and it was identified as being fake. The give away on the piece were the small bumps on the face of the coin. I didn't think that it was real, as it was in just too good of shape to have been real. But, you can always hope. Another thing that was against it was, the fact that we don't have and have never had a large Chinese population in this part of the country.
Thanks for your input.

Thats good info, I have quite a few of these and it never really dawned on me they could be fake

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats good info, I have quite a few of these and it never really dawned on me they could be fake
[/quote]

I remember as a kid, a long time ago, we used to see these coins all of the time. Back then, we thought that they were real. I guess that we were just ignorant instead.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
allen said:
why would the make fake chinese coins ?!

They technically speaking, aren't out and out fakes. They are reproductions of actual coins. They usually come in sets of 5 or 10 different coins in some type of a folder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread