A little silver here and there

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I have been having a little bit of luck lately. Nothing too exciting but I’m happy. Short hunts have been the order of the day. Two hours of ninety degrees with a hot sun beating down on you is about all I can take.

A week ago I went up to my mom’s cottage on Marblehead (Sandusky Bay). I took my mom, mother in law and a couple others over to Put-In-Bay (Lake Erie island) but before I did Nate and I hooked up with Golddiver for a little hunt. As Golddiver mentioned we each found silver although his 1911 spanked Nate and I’s 1920 and 1954 ‘s dimes. Still was happy to find a few keepers.

The cottage neighbors prefabbed house going up in one day:
Fabhomeatcottagegoingup.jpg

Taking the ferry back from the island:
Sunset1.jpg

As for finds… a cool lock.
Lock.jpg

Friday’s afterwork hunt was nice. I went to park and worked the pull tab area very slowly with the small 7.5” coil and pulled out an old silver cross. This got me in the mood for “old” stuff. So on the way home I stopped at an old site hoping just to dig some old junk. Was surprised to get a silver rosie. :)

Crossdime.jpg

Yes, that is my lawn in the picture. Nice and brown.

Markings on the back of the cross are worn down too much to read.
Crossback.jpg

I got a Roller Roo token and a Golden Rat token:

CCandRollerRoo.jpg

The rest of the pics:
KeepersAug22.jpg

Definitely a better silver to wheat ratio than last weeks:
Allthestuff.jpg

Picture of the “old” site. It’s a little overgrown but still worth hunting.
Adetctorwraysoriginal.jpg

Bob

Upvote 0

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250
Huge pile of goodies! WTG :thumbsup:

What is that UFO in the second picture ??? ;D

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Bob, not bad, especially for this time of year; not an ounce of moisture in the ground here :'(. That USA pin looks like a coupla detectorists fighting over a plug!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Nice finds, Bob!!

That old cross is way cool!! :thumbsup:

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Bob.

The heat keeps me from hunting really long also. I go for about 2.5 3 hrs and I am done. Once I get a silver and have a few cool finds I quit. Can it get any dryer this yr. Soil is like powder. I can't wait for the fall and winter.

This is when I expect to make some nice finds. I got a good location but it needs to die out. Still treasure hunting for the most part nowadays is just bits and pieces here and there. Not many gold mines left out there.

Good Luck

Jer

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Bob..the photographs are awesome too :thumbsup:

Paul4x4 said:

Looks like the side view of a seagull.

Nat

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt and pics Bob. That grown up place reminds me of the cabin site I pulled the bust dime out of a couple of weeks ago. Geez...the ground is so stinkin' hard right now...I think I'll go back to the machete and cabin site in the woods ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul4x4 said:

I was wondering the same thing. :icon_scratch:

Bob,
You better get NASA on that thing! :wink:
-Doug-

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
You Sir are The Man! Very nice variety of finds. :thumbsup:
I knew that darn Nick would beat me to the ChuckE Cheese token, but "CONGRATS" on becoming a member of the "Roller Roo Club" (the RRC to those in the know). I think you may be the first member. :icon_scratch: ;D :wink:
Great job on the silver. :thumbsup:
Glad to see you and Nate got out a bit to MD.
-Doug-
:icon_jokercolor:

Attachments

• Ben Dover pin.jpg
    Ben Dover pin.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 408
OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Thanks all.

JerDfx said:
Nice finds Bob.

The heat keeps me from hunting really long also. I go for about 2.5 3 hrs and I am done. Once I get a silver and have a few cool finds I quit. Can it get any dryer this yr. Soil is like powder. I can't wait for the fall and winter.

This is when I expect to make some nice finds. I got a good location but it needs to die out. Still treasure hunting for the most part nowadays is just bits and pieces here and there. Not many gold mines left out there.

Good Luck

Jer

Yes, not many gold mines out there except on private property. Or you just have to drive a hundred miles or so. It's still enjoyable to just go out and dig.

silverfreak said:
Awesome hunt and pics Bob. That grown up place reminds me of the cabin site I pulled the bust dime out of a couple of weeks ago. Geez...the ground is so stinkin' hard right now...I think I'll go back to the machete and cabin site in the woods ;D

Fat chance of a bust dime from this site. The home was build in the 1880's to 1890's. Although there was a mill in the 1830's about 1/4 mile away....

ModernMiner said:
Paul4x4 said:

I was wondering the same thing. :icon_scratch:

Bob,
You better get NASA on that thing! :wink:
-Doug-

What's with all you land lubbers, never seen a seagull in flight?! Time for a few of you to get out to the beach.
:icon_sunny:

ModernMiner said:
Bob,
You Sir are The Man! Very nice variety of finds. :thumbsup:
I knew that darn Nick would beat me to the ChuckE Cheese token, but "CONGRATS" on becoming a member of the "Roller Roo Club" (the RRC to those in the know). I think you may be the first member. :icon_scratch: ;D :wink:
Great job on the silver. :thumbsup: I like that lock. Have you ever found they key to a Climax? :o ;D :wink:
Glad to see you and Nate got out a bit to MD.
-Doug-
:icon_jokercolor:

Of coarse we can always count on you Doug to add some choice comments. :laughing7: What is the Roller Roo? I know what Chuckie Cheese is but not the RR. Glad I am part of a very elite club. :thumbsup:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures, Bob! I love to ride the ferry when we go to Dauphin Island.

Super finds! Love the cross!

Nana

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Mirage, it looks like you cleaned some house again on all of that wilver. Now, get back out there and dig us some more, buddy!

Kyle

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man Bob....We need to start "Your Worst Mangled Coin" thread....That Quarter is Banner for sure.Look's like a Great time and hunt for Ya,That nose for Silver will alway's be there....Nice dig's,the Cross is pretty nice.....I like it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread