A loaded half dollar box!!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, just opened a half dollar box i've had sitting around since last week, opened it and saw a ton of enders

the totals:
48 solid rolls of 1998 half dollars
2 rolls of mostly solid 1998 half dollars with about 4-5 mixed dates in them, mostly from the 80's.
a bad batch for sure, i hope this week's order doesn't turn out like last weeks!
hh
buff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also, these were regular garda rolls, not special rolls from the us mint.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, someone dumped a huge collection of 1998s! who would've thought. If I had an unlimited supply of money, I would sort all the clad, and then dump it by year like 50,000 at a time so a few people were sure to end up with nearly solid boxes. Who knows, maybe someone else with more money than me had this idea?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a bummer man. I have yet to encounter this.

I always think this and then it happens to me. Like opening a box only to find all re-wrapped bank rolls. Finally happened to me on a two box order, it sucked! Still haven't found this yet or a solid box of 2012s, knock on wood

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
When I saw the title I was expecting something bad. Was glad to hear this. well done!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
A full box of halves that are worth $2-$3 each? I would say that was a good haul.

Chances are you are looking at Red Book pricing which is retail and their values on clad are WAY out of the ballpark. Unless you've got a proof, commemorative or an interesting variety (doubled die, no "FG",etc) any half dollar dated 1971-present that you find CRHing is worth exactly 50 cents. Sure, if you've got an absolute gem coin that is graded by NGC or PCGS as a MS-68 or MS-69 you might have something worth a premium. If you take clad halves to a coin shop chances are you are going to be laughed out of the store. Simple fact, there is next to no demand for non-silver Kennedy halves, the mintages have all been super-high, and its one of the least circulated denominations with many in mint and proof sets. While the Red Book is fairly accurate for retail (as in, the price you'd buy your coin at a reputable dealer for) prices of older US coins, it is way off on the desirability of modern coins, especially since super-high mintages, unattractive designs and low relief are the norms in US coinage today. While there may be some money to be made in high grade clad, especially for one of the 1980s dates (1986 or 1987?) where they didn't make mint sets and so high grade clad goes for more than silver (although low grade is just worth face value) most of the coin dealers I know don't even touch it, they just buy the silver/gold/old stuff and either take the "junk" coins to the bank or use them in the cash register.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always think this and then it happens to me. Like opening a box only to find all re-wrapped bank rolls. Finally happened to me on a two box order, it sucked! Still haven't found this yet or a solid box of 2012s, knock on wood

I was just thinking this. The rewrapped dump box happened to me a month or so ago.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here we go again clad. I think it will cost you $3 to bring them to the coin counter. I would love to know if any one on here EVER GETS PAID FOR CLAD??? If you do wow not where am from.I have rainbow clad here. Its easy to see the silver stands out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread