Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I am having a good week! I was down with all the solid 2012 boxes of dimes & skunk halves this July. Then I found a bunch of silver in CWR's yesterday, my best one day haul ever (11oz in $200 cwr).

Today, I stopped by a bank where the teller told me he had a jar of silver coins he sniped. I told him I would pay him $$$ if he ever brought them in. He was supposed to do this over a month ago, and this week he told me he was keeping them in his car, waiting for me to stop in.

On lunch today I stopped in with a sweet treat for the tellers who always order weekly for me for over two months straight. And I asked him about the coins. After looking them over, and I had never seen the Liberty 1oz or anything painted, I offered him a quick $100 I knew the kens where worth (before he took the painted ones out because we both didn't know if they were real.)

07-20-12 all.jpg
Total haul: 3 - 1oz Libertys (my firsts), 3 peace dollars, 3 bens, 6 - 1964's, 9 - 40%'s, 2 buffs, 2 rosies, and 1 merc (not shown). About 10oz of silver.

I wasnt sure if the painted coins were real but they had the the silver edge. I weighted them all at work on my digital scale and they weighted up fine. Does anyone know anything on these?

He was absolutely stoked to get the $100 benjamin franklin. He said he had no idea where to take em. - Jonathan

Upvote 0

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
Let me first say this is a great haul for $100! The painted silver eagles as well as the peace dollars is just something various companies done to promote the sale of these coins. If you soak them in rubbing alcohol it will come right off.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
You did real good, just the 3 Eagles are worth almost what you paid, if they weren't painted anyway, JK. Nice haul, probably worth 3 times what you paid.

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Very nice! You got your $ worth and a Great profit!

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Years: ASE's - painted - 2000 x 2, not painted - 1990S x 1
Bens 1952 x 1, 1952 x 2
Buffs: both no dates
will check the merc when i find it in the car (dont check coins while driving!)

The ASE's are awesome! What a great way to store 1 oz. I will probably send out a bunch of 40%'s (about 4oz) to provident to make up the $100, then everything else is in the stash & paid for. I increase my stash by 6oz for free!

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not really sure...but I THINK one time I read on here, that the proof sae is worth quite a bit over melt. Might want to put that in a case and look into it.
I think like...$70-$80 maybe? Others will have a better idea

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Matter-o-fact...I found one online for $170. Lol. With a mint of only 695,510.
If this is true...SWEET find sir.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
The 1990-s proof with box and COA would go for $60 retail. Without these items you could get $50 for it depending on condition. There are still buyers for them though. I once bought 100 loose eagles off of a dealer and it had a proof in it. Still yet this is an amazing find to say the least.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you did super well, personally, i would go back and give that teller an extra $50, if not, at least an extra $20, it's always good to have connections like that, and to give him extra money afterwards, it would make him that much happier to sell to you next time :)
just my 2 wheat cents!
hh
buff

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
BuffaloBoy said:
you did super well, personally, i would go back and give that teller an extra $50, if not, at least an extra $20, it's always good to have connections like that, and to give him extra money afterwards, it would make him that much happier to sell to you next time :)
just my 2 wheat cents!
hh
buff

This: I like!

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
just my 2 wheat cents!
hh
buff

Thanks buff. That makes alot of sense. I will probably give him at least $20 more. These silver eagles are awesome! The 1990 proof has a couple small nicks on the reverse rim, and has some minor surface wear. It is in AU or so, id guess. Not sure if it worth a premium; made the decision when I started peace dollars, ASE's, liberties, bens, merc, barbers are all being kept for the long haul. The kens, especially the 40%'s, are perfect for selling a small bunch for $100 to keep the this haul and get my money back. Thanks for checking out my find! - Jonathan

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice deal! Rather than more money, give them a bunch of chocolate & get the rest of the tellers looking for you!

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Maybe instead of just giving him more money you could get him a gift certificate at a local restaurant and tell him that you were so happy to get the coins that you wanted to treat him and a friend of his to a meal. I think that way you don't bring up the fact that maybe he didn't charge you enough like giving him a little more cash might imply. Plus a free meal will stick in his mind a lot longer than an extra 20-25 dollars would.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great buy jonathon. I think it's ashamed that those coins are painted. Are you thinking about soaking them in alcohol as dusty suggests? I think I would cause I just hate the way they look. Either way though, nice pile of Ag for a hundred bucks. If you want to give him something extra I like minky's suggestion and his reasoning behind it. HH

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The painted coins can sell for a little more on eBay to people who like the art.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions