A Long Hunt Produces Some Decent Finds

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two days ago I went out to detect for the whole day. At 9 am in the morning I arrived to the first location I was about to hunt on this trip. This location consisted of one house foundation from the 1800's and a stone well. This was in the middle of the woods and the closest house from here was probably 10 kilometers away. I found absolutely nothing at that location so I moved on to the next location which was a larger house foundation from the 1800's. At that location I found absolutely nothing again besides a "grave" of a horse:

IMG_8397[1].JPG IMG_8398[1].JPG IMG_8400[1].JPG

I ate lunch and moved on to the next location. It took 30 minutes to drive from each location and I didn't find any finds so I was getting a little bit annoyed. At the next location I began to detect and only found bullet casings everywhere and a lot of deep iron nails that sounded good. I actually dug over a hundred bullet casings at that place. After detecting for an hour I dug another hole but this time the soil was black as coal. There where bits of charcoal in the dirt too so I thought that it had burned here a long time ago. And by thinking that I also thought that I must be near the house foundation that I had a hard time locating on this location. So I dug down more and got a beautiful mid 1800's bronze two piece button:

IMG_8417[1].JPG IMG_8418[1].JPG

And then I walked only a meter away and got another button, this time a late 1700's to early 1800's bronze/pewter flat button:

IMG_8421[1].JPG IMG_8422[1].JPG

After that find I found another mid 1800's bronze two piece button but with no design and it appears to have been gold plated:

IMG_8419[1].JPG IMG_8420[1].JPG

I went on detecting and didn't find anything else. So I went to the next location. On this location it had been a school teachers house in the early 1700's but I couldn't find the house foundation so I detected on the abandoned field besides that was probably related to the house foundation (that I couldn't find). I actually luckily found a archaeologists picture of the exact house foundation on the internet:

Namnlös.png

I detected on that field for maybe half an hour and found a very strange iron mystery item that I would love to get identified, so if anybody knows what it is, please let me know (weighs ca 330 gram and is ca 10 cm long):

IMG_8412[1].JPG IMG_8414[1].JPG
IMG_8415[1].JPG IMG_8416[1].JPG

Thank you for looking and happy hunting!

Upvote 10

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many people have found human graves lol

OP
OP
Vldetecting

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like a magazine for a pistol (slightly bent).

It is a very low possibility cause it has the look of it but dosen't have the right shape and curves to be the grip of a handgun. But who knows...

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I think your first button is probably more like mid 1700s than mid 1800s based on the blowholes on the back and design on the front.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button finds. That metal thingy looks a bit like a small metal boot in Picture #4 and #5. Lol. Congrats

OP
OP
Vldetecting

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I think your first button is probably more like mid 1700s than mid 1800s based on the blowholes on the back and design on the front.

Thank you for the information! I'm not so good on dating two piece buttons :)

And since that button was from the 1700's I suppose the other two piece button is from the 1700's too. I also found two 1700 ish horse shoes and the area is from the 1700's.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice buttons! :occasion14:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Keep in mind buttons are dated somewhat differently in Sweden. My book says Mid-Late 1800's, based of a similar button.

OP
OP
Vldetecting

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind buttons are dated somewhat differently in Sweden. My book says Mid-Late 1800's, based of a similar button.

Well the house foundation and the people who lived there are more likely to have lived there towards the 1700's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread