A look at some gnarly small scale gold mining in Phillipines

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Popped up on my YT suggested the other day. The gold deposits lay underneath the water table and they dive in the shafts with just a hose in their mouth hooked to a compressor. Looks like a lot of them don't even use goggles and I think one of those dive lights was a flashlight wrapped in a plastic bag.
It's sad to know that people are so stuck in poverty that they have to risk their lives like this every day. Basically every scene where they're mining whether above or underwater looks like death is imminent.
Whenever I see this kind of stuff I wonder if there's something that could be done to educate or supply "informal miners" certain equipment that could aid recovery or improve safety at least. Any 3rd world country with gold has many people that live the same reality.

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God bless America where my child has all that he needs. It only takes one look at the poverty level there to realize that the problems we worry about here are secondary to food shelter and a job. I find more money in a day of metal detecting than they do at a week of working the gold mines. Never take for granted how blessed we are here in America.....its much tougher for our brothers in the third world....life is tuff for them.....hope they find some big gold that will change there lives....15 dollars a day is tough living.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread