A message to all the new "prospectors"

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A message to all the new "prospectors"

There are no definitive absolutes in this hobby.

I started with that sentence because I see a lot of new members asking questions like:

Which types of boxes produce more silver?
How many (insert coin type) do you find per box?
Are clear wrapped dimes easier to find silver?

I am by no means a veteran here, or even to this hobby, but I do know that no one can give you concrete answers to any of these questions. Only through MANY MANY boxes will you find "possible" ideas for what YOUR AREA holds. Even then those numbers will not be anything you can expect or count on.

Just because Jimmy's Brinks boxes of halves in Montana are all skunks, does not mean your Brinks boxes of halves in Michigan will be the same. Everyone's dump branches are different with different rules. Everyone's supply branches are different with different rules. Etc....

Questions are OK, and don't stop asking them. Many of the responses will be very helpful, but they will not show you where silver is hiding in your area. That can only be accomplished by how much work you're willing to put into this great hobby, and even then you may still strike out.

This is not an easy hobby, and it is definitely not for those looking for a fast lazy score. It's been said here before, and I will repeat it; Volume is the key.

The best advice I can give you is roll up your sleeves, buy some purell, and start getting dirty. Do that, and soon you will know what works best for you in your own area.

HH

Nick

Upvote 0

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Re: A message to all the new "prospectors"

One thing that should be mentioned to the new folks:

GO READ THE OLD POSTS.

When I started CRHing, I read every old post there was on this forum that talked about half dollars. I read back several years. I don't know much about this hobby, but reading the old posts helped me understand more about how to work the hobby the best way.

Since I don't have much interest in dimes, nickels or pennies, I skipped most of those threads, but I read everything I could about searching halves.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010

Cards-n-coins,
Excellent post! I'm sure the new members will benefit from it.
rileyboy

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sooooo Where do I buy the boxes that have the Silver halves?? :laughing9: :laughing9:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Diggin-N-Dumps said:
Sooooo Where do I buy the boxes that have the Silver halves?? :laughing9: :laughing9:

Just about any bank has them, just order the box, and open them in the lobby. Take the keepers, and then hand the rest back to the teller... :laughing7:

LOL!!!!

OP
OP
CardsNCoins

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm bringing this back up to the top for all the new members here lately.

HH

Nick

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Amen...READ OLD POSTS and stop asking stupid questions!

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great post.

I suggest new hunters read this thread http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,397230.0.html

This is my running totals for the past few months. This will give you an idea of how MY CRHing has been. It will also show you that it's a lot of work to find silver.

Don't just expect to buy a box and find silver. Expect to put in a LOT of leg work.

That being said... Welcome to the hobby and enjoy it. Happy Hunting!

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

StevoCBR said:
Amen...READ OLD POSTS and stop asking stupid don't hesitate to ask questions!

Fixed.

Some of us don't mind answering questions for new people.

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I posted my "newbie" thread back in Feb of this year. I remember after walking out of the first bank I asked for Halves at with 3 40%s thinking "this is going to be easy." It turns out it wasn't, but I am powering through the skunks with volume.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good post and help the community by selling 20$ worth of Ag and purchasing a charter membership if you are a frequent poster/reader.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SeaninNH said:
StevoCBR said:
Amen...READ OLD POSTS and stop asking stupid don't hesitate to ask questions!

Fixed.

Some of us don't mind answering questions for new people.

Thanks but it wasn't broken :thumbsup: Questions that can be easily answered by reading and not being lazy is stupid in my books. Sure I like to help the next guy like anybody else...well not really why would i want to help somebody find my treasure...but that's just me. And if you see it from my perspective your only doing yourself a dis-service by not reading and learning about the pros and cons and what works and what doesn't and so on. To at least this veteran I get annoyed with the same basic questions over and over. So I want all the newbies to ((HEAR)) this....READ READ READ and ALL your answers shall be granted to you.

But I understand if folks out here wanna reply and waste their time typing the same short "how to" story that was typed 2 months ago...well by all means don't let me stop you :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions